Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQLWeb Development by Michael K. Glass, Yann Le Scouarnec, Elizabeth Naramore, Gary Mailer, Jeremy Stolz, Jason Gerner; ISBN: 9780764557446
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 6th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Authorized User

Default IMPORTANT MySQL my.cnf info

It appears that those of you who have been recently downloading and attempting to install and configure MySQL 4.0.20 series for Windows are having some problems locating the my-small, my-medium, my-large, and my-huge .cnf files.

With good reason, as they have been omitted from the zip file.

You can read a bit more about that here: http://lists.mysql.com/win32/15085

You will need to type the my.cnf sample code as it is in the book- save the file as C:\my.cnf and go from there. I'm sure the good folks over at mysql.com are working on it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Naramore

Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:41 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElizabethN
 It appears that those of you who have been recently downloading and attempting to install and configure MySQL 4.0.20 series for Windows are having some problems locating the my-small, my-medium, my-large, and my-huge .cnf files.

With good reason, as they have been omitted from the zip file.

I'm sure the good folks over at mysql.com are working on it.
As of today, still no change in the zip files. 2 hours down the drain. This is why Open Source is still not considered 'ready for prime time'.

Really, how difficult is it to post a zip/rar/tar file with the files on the main site. Are they really that big? Is it that difficult? Or even a page with them in html format that you could copy.

I would have settled for a note in the download area, saying that they were missing.

I really have to wonder sometimes if 'open source' people have any clue about customers.

Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:09 AM

Quote:
quote: As of today, still no change in the zip files. 2 hours down the drain. This is why Open Source is still not considered 'ready for prime time'.

Why a waste of 2 hours? I am going to assume that since it is a .zip file you downloaded, that your platform is Windows.

Solution:
1)Install the program.

2)Open your c:\mysql directory, then open the \bin directory and you will see a file called winmysqladmin. -- click it. It will start up a GUI admin screen. Enter a username / password for it. It WILL automatically create the file for you. -- DONE

As for the open-source developers and community... well, I disagree with you 100%

Regards,
Steve
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to halbrook

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambrose

Quote:
quote: As of today, still no change in the zip files. 2 hours down the drain. This is why Open Source is still not considered 'ready for prime time'.

Why a waste of 2 hours?  I am going to assume that since it is a .zip file you downloaded, that your platform is Windows.

Solution:
1)Install the program.

2)Open your c:\mysql directory, then open the \bin directory and you will see a file called winmysqladmin. -- click it.  It will start up a GUI admin screen. Enter a username / password for it.  It WILL automatically create the file for you. -- DONE
I just had the same problem, so I came to this forum to find out what to do. All the chatter about how it is not part of the distro, then you come on and say click, click, DONE. I did what you said and it still did not work. I am a pretty fast typer, so I will finish with the my.cnf file. Have a good one...

Oh before I forget, for all those who want to save some time - here is the file per page 25-26 :D
Code:
# Example mysql config file.
# Copy this file to c:\my.cnf to set global options
#
# One can use all long options that the program supports.
# Run the program with -help to get a list of available options

# This will be passed to all mysql clients
[Client]
#password=my_password
port=3306
#socket=MySQL

# Here is entries for some specific programs
# The following values assume you have at least 32M ram
# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
skip-locking
set-variable = key_buffer=16M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable = table_cache=64
set-variable = sort_buffer=512K
set-variable = net_buffer_length=8K
set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size=8M
server-id = 1
# The following line is added from Page 26
local-infile = 1

# Uncomment the following if you want to log updates
log-bin

# Uncomment the following if you move the MySQL distribution to another location
#basedir = d:/mysql
#datadir = d:/mysql/data/

# Uncomment the following if you are NOT using BDB tables
#skip-bdb

# Uncomment the following if you are using BDB tables
#set-variable = bdb_cache_size=4M
#set-variable = bdb_max_lock=10000

# Uncomment the following if you are using Innobase tables
#innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:400M
#innodb_data_file_path = c:\ibdata
#innodb_log_group_home_dir = c:\iblogs
#innodb_log_arch_dir = c:\iblogs
#set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
#set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
#set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M
#set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
#innodb_log_archive=0
#set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=16M
#set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=2M
#set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
#set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer=20M
set-variable = sort_buffer=20M
set-variable = read_buffer=2M
set-variable = write_buffer=2M

[myisamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer=20M
set-variable = sort_buffer=20M
set-variable = read_buffer=2M
set-variable = write_buffer=2M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout
Josh
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:29 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
 Why a waste of 2 hours?  
Well that is how much time I wasted looking for the files, searching MySQL.com for any useful referance to this file, etc...

Quote:
I am going to assume that since it is a .zip file you downloaded, that your platform is Windows.
You would be wrong. I have several platforms. Zip is not exclusive to the windows platform.

Quote:
Solution:
1)Install the program.
Thanks I did that already. That was why I needed the files.

Quote:
2)Open your c:\mysql directory, then open the \bin directory and you will see a file called winmysqladmin. -- click it.  It will start up a GUI admin screen. Enter a username / password for it.  It WILL automatically create the file for you. -- DONE
well that would work IF you shut the service down, and you don't have one already, and you have not typed up the my.cnf file and placed it in a directory.

Also by doing it your way you have some security holes (cleartext password in the file). The other problem is that I still don't have the files to use as a referance or to test on other servers. Which was the origianl problem; Not the set up of WinMySQLAdmin.

Quote:
As for the open-source developers and community...  well, I disagree with you 100%

Was not talking about the developers. I was talking about the 'community'. The response to my post, would seem to bear out my problem with the open source community.

Old August 16th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Authorized User

Location: Isle of South Uist, Outer Hebrides, United Kingdom.

Thanks, Josh - that should save a lot of time!

Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jameslp

Thanks Josh :)

Old May 12th, 2005, 10:24 PM

I am seriously annoyed that the MySQL installation is not going at all as laid out in the Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL book. I went through several hours trying to find the large, medium and small .cnf files that were not in the MySQL 4.0.24 download. Finally coming here and finding this forum and these posts, I copied the file so kindly posted by Josh to Notepad, and saved it as a .txt file named my.cnf, and saved that to a folder that I created in C:\ (not C:\MySQL??) and when I opened said folder there was an icon that identifies it as a 'SpeedDial' and the file was just called 'my' and it cannot be opened now with Notepad!!...
If I have done something wrong here, would someone point it out to me, please...
In trying to resolve some of the difficulties that arise because the installation of MySQL does NOT proceed as laid out in the book, I downloaded and installed the ODBC driver 3.51: can anyone tell me if I done good... ?
Most of the command prompts, as laid out in the book on pages 23 and 24, do not yield the expected results at all: "mysql> DELETE FROM user WHERE Host='localhost' AND User='';" gives me "ERROR 1046: No Database Selected" ...and "C:\>c:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin reload" gives me "c:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin reload failed;error: 'Access denied. You need RELOAD privelege for this operation.'" ... Similarly the choose_a_password command does not give the response as indicated in the book, and the command "c:\mysql\bin\mysql -h localhost -u root -p" gives "ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost'<Using password:YES>" ... and "c:\mysql\bin\mysql mysql" gives "ERROR 1044..." ---BUT, "c:\mysql\bin\mysql -u root -p" does yield the indicated response of Fig 1-8 of the book when I enter the password that I set up in C:\MySQL\bin\winmysqladmin .
This is not going well at all.
If anyone can steer me so that I can get back on track, I would be VERY HAPPY!!

Old May 13th, 2005, 01:56 AM

I simply downloaded Xampp from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/ and was completely setup with AMP on my win box in 15 minutes :)

While you complain of the nature of open source, it's true strength is available selections. Some choices are ready for prime time :)

Are we having fun yet?

Peccavi
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Authorized User

Smackwater Jack, I hope you were able to get your MySQL installation running okay- xampp is an excellent alternative to installing each module separately.

As well, keep in mind that with any software package, changes occur often and too quickly for the written word. The development cycle for a written book cannot keep up with advances in technology, which is why we tried to stress that for up-to-date installation instructions, you should always visit the source (apache.org, php.net, & mysql.com) - that will always give you the best and most current instructions. If you're still having problems, you might try going to mysql.com.

Hope that helps!
Elizabeth Naramore