Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQLWeb Development by Michael K. Glass, Yann Le Scouarnec, Elizabeth Naramore, Gary Mailer, Jeremy Stolz, Jason Gerner; ISBN: 9780764557446
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Default MySQL password reset

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I cannot seem to find it. I set up my MySQL password incorrectly on page 23 and I cannot figure out how to change it to a new password.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Todd
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tdewitt274
 I'm sure this has been asked before, but I cannot seem to find it.††I set up my MySQL password incorrectly on page 23 and I cannot figure out how to change it to a new password.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Todd
Since you did not say what your operating system is I am assuming it is windows.

The procedure under Windows:
Log on to your system as Administrator.
Stop the MySQL server if it is running. For a server that is running as a Windows service, go to the Services manager:

Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Then find the MySQL service in the list, and stop it. If your server is not running as a service, you may need to use the Task Manager to force it to stop.

Open a console window to get to the DOS command prompt:

Start Menu -> Run -> cmd

We are assuming that you installed MySQL to `C:\mysql'. If you installed MySQL to another location, adjust the following commands accordingly. At the DOS command prompt, execute this command:

C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt --skip-grant-tables

This starts the server in a special mode that does not check the grant tables to control access.

Keeping the first console window open, open a second console window and execute the following commands (type each on a single line):

C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root flush-privileges password "newpwd"

C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown

Replace ``newpwd'' with the actual root password that you want to use.

The second command will prompt you to enter the new password for access. Enter the password that you assigned in the first command.
Stop the MySQL server, then restart it in normal mode again. If you run the server as a service, start it from the Windows Services window. If you start the server manually, use whatever command you normally use.

You should now be able to connect using the new password.

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Thanks for your help! I saw someone post a link, but this was better!

Thanks again

Todd