Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional VB.NET 2003 by Bill Evjen, Billy Hollis, Rockford Lhotka, Tim McCarthy, Jonathan Pinnock, Rama Ramachandran, Bill Sheldon; ISBN: 9780764559921
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Default Beginning VB.NET 2003 Chapter 16

Sorry for the post,... I am new to programming (trying to learn). Anyway, I was doing the DataSet example in Chapter 16, but I cannot get it to work. I downloaded the code from your website and got the same Microsoft Development Environment Error displaying the following message:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in system.data.dll

Additional information: System error.

I seems to be bombing on the Open Database command - objConnection.Open()

Have you seen this before with the code samples? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM

I should add that I am running SQL Server 2005 on the same box that I am trying to program on. Also, I verified that I do indeed have the pubs database, and I can connect to it fine otherwise. I tried a new project in VB and ammended the parameters to get data from the Northwind database and got the same error.

I googled the error, but the only results referenced making the DB call before you pass the parameters, but this referred to SQL 7.0

Old May 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Wrox Author

I tried to make a connection to SQL Server 2005 on one machine from Visual Basic 2003 on another machine and it failed with just some undescriptive error message. I tried again from Visual Basic 2005 and it failed again. However, this time it gave me a message indicating that the Named Pipes protocol might not be enabled. I went to the SQL Server 2005 machine and opened the SQL Server Configuration Manager and sure enough, on a default installation the Named Pipes protocol is disabled.

I enabled this protocol, restarted SQL Server, and was able to successfully connect from both Visual Basic 2003 and Visual Basic 2005.

I hope this helps.

Thearon
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:55 AM

i tried this method...but still could not connect...

Old November 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM

i used the wizard to get a connection string and then pasted it into my code. That worked

"workstation id=xxx;packet size=4096;user id=sa;integrated security=SSPI;da" & _
        "ta source=""xxx\SQLEXPRESS"";persist security info=False;initial catalog=pu" & _
        "bs"

Old December 5th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Wrox Author

Ah...

Your source part of the string indicates that you are running SQL Server Express as a named instance.

I'm glad you are up and working.

Thearon
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:07 AM

sdfsdfsdfewrwerter

jaya
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default DB Migration failure

Pls kindly help me out anytime i try to connect to sql server in the DB Migration program i have this error message "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).[SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
I wrote a small program to connect to sql server using sqlconnection so as to know maybe it's the installation problem,but i was able to do so,fill a dataset and populate a datagrid.I have enabled all the protocol names in the MS SQL Server,shared memory,TCP/IP,Named Pipes and VIA.Regards