Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases by Thearon Willis; ISBN: 9780764588945
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM

Default Chapter 5 Exercise 2

I have a question about this exercise. In the exercise you have to create a boolean variable and set the default value to True. As you continue, once you bind the data to the combo box, you set the value of the boolean variable to False. Why is it that when I go to the SelectedValueChanged event of my comboBox, the code will not work unless I have some kind of If statement on top? It shouldn't whether I have that variable or not, the code should still work. I'm I missing something about the SelectedValueChanged event that I should be aware of?

Old November 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Wrox Author

When you bind the combobox, the SelectedValueChange event is fired. If you do not have the If statement as the first code in your ComboBox1_SelectedValueChanged procedure, the rest of the code will be executed and an execption will be thrown because no data will have been loaded at this point. Try commenting out the If statement at the top of this procedure to see what I talking about.

Thearon
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Yes, I saw that before, but I just don't seem to understand why the data wont load unless I have the "IF" stament there, when I have told the data to bind to the combo box in my previous Sub procedure.

Old November 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Wrox Author

Because the SelectedValueChange event is being fired when you perform the binding.

Thearon
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM

Default Chapter 5 Ex 2

Hi all, I have coded exercise 2 exactly but when I populate the ComboBox I get this error message:
"Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)."
on this line of code:
[
'Add the required parameter for the query
objCommand.Parameters.Add("@ProjectID", OleDbType.Guid, 16).Value = _
New Guid(cb1.SelectedValue.ToString)]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks