Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2005
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual C# 2005 by Karli Watson, Christian Nagel, Jacob Hammer Pedersen, Jon D. Reid, Morgan Skinner, Eric White; ISBN: 9780764578472
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

To All True Beginners:

OK, this is a blatant plug, but at least check out the forum here titled:

BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3

as well as the book reviews on Amazon.com.

I am the author of the book and have over 20 years of teaching beginning students OOA, OOD, and OOP at Purdue University. Nothing like having a hundred or so pairs of eyes looking at you to hone your teaching skills and examples to bring the topics home. I think I've managed to bring that experience to my books. Perhaps using that book to get comfortable with C# and OOP and then come back to these books for additional details would he helpful.

Just a thought...

Dr. Purdum

Jack Purdum, Ph.D.
Author: Beginning C# 3.0: Introduction to Object Oriented Programming (and 14 other programming texts)
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Authorized User

I personally have found this book to be excellent. It's well paced and introduces the basic concepts of the C# language in a very methodical and structured way. With all these books, I think there has to be some assumed level of pre-knowledge. I don't think anyone would pick up this book having not programmed before.

I have been programming for nearly 2 years, mainly Excel/Access VBA, so not even in a .NET environment, yet I have been able to grasp the concepts without too much difficulty. I'm not saying it's been plain sailing; there have been times where I haven't understood something, even after re-reading it several times, and I have resorted to looking it up on the web to get a different angle.

Some people are suited to this style of learning, others respond to a more practical approach.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hodyJN
 I need a better understanding of the &, &&, |, and also !.

See this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173145.aspx