Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 4.0 aka C# 2010 > BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2010
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual C# 2010 by Karli Watson, Christian Nagel, Jacob Hammer Pedersen, Jon D. Reid, Morgan Skinner, ; ISBN: 9780470502266
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Thoughts/Feedback on the book

Just wanted to hear what you guys think of the book whether you completed it or only parts of it. Did you have any struggles along the way?

I have just read through chapters 8-9 which covers "OOP" and classes.

Am I the only one who's having a hard time on these topics? All in all I expected a bit more of practices/tryouts during these chapters, but mostly there was theory.
Will the rest of the book be just as confusing/hard to grasp as these chapters have been? I thought I was doing pretty ok until I reached this point.

How do you guys work yourself through the book? Do you wait with proceeding to next chapter in the book until you understand everything covered in a chapter?
Do you make your on projects/applications based on the topics covered in a chapter besides the exercises provided in the book?

Not sure if I'm just running through the book to quickly or if I should just go on with it and hope I'll understand it better later on?
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

Well, by far this book is the most comprehensive C# book I have ever read; and as for the theory; well, it is very important because I have read a lot of other books, and they just cut to the code, which is not the approach any beginner would want to take; You canít just copy-paste the code every time, you need theory solid-understanding for that. And if you want to implement what you've learned then try making your own apps. Which are limited in functionality to the knowledge you have; though I must agree with you, this book is short on exercise material.
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Authorized User
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

I'd say it would be a good idea to read some other book first (like some quick guide) and then this one, that way you would have at least some idea about the language first before "jumping into the deep end".
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

I thought this was like a book for beginners and a good place to start.
I will check out other books as well. Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Authorized User
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryotic View Post
I thought this was like a book for beginners and a good place to start.
I will check out other books as well. Thanks.
Yeah, this is a good book for beginners, but it is just so thorough that you really have to concentrate and use time to learn things. If you want to understand a bit of C# and you don't want to use a couple of months to do that, then I'd say this is a wrong book. If your idea is to become professional and you are ready to put, say, 1 000 working hours to this subject, this is a great book. So it depends a lot about what you are looking for, but the idea for the starting level is the same: You don't have to understand anything about programming.

edit. BTW, can anyone tell why I have problems writing these messages on Firefox? I can't copy or edit or mark the text while doing the initial posting. Editing after posting works perfectly though.

Last edited by Jaymond Flurrie; October 25th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.