Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 4.0 aka C# 2010 > BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2010
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual C# 2010 by Karli Watson, Christian Nagel, Jacob Hammer Pedersen, Jon D. Reid, Morgan Skinner, ; ISBN: 9780470502266
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Authorized User
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Trying to make a generic get() method (or "Can you typecast a control?")

I have an object of type Form, called Form1. Then I have another object of type MyClass (a class I created) called Object1. I'm trying to write a get() method within Form1 that will allows me to get the value of most any control within it.

I'm guessing there's a more elegant way to do this, but here's what I've got so far:

Code:
        public string get(string control_name) {
            foreach (Control ctrl in this.Controls) {

// If this is the right control
                if (ctrl.Name == control_name) {
                    return returnValue(ctrl);

// Look inside container elements
                } else if (ctrl.Controls.Count > 0) {
                    string tmp = getDeeper(ctrl, control_name);

// If tmp isn't "" then we found control_name and it wasn't "".  
                    // Note that if we did find control_name but it's value was "" 
                    // then we'd keep looking for it as if we haven't found it yet.
                    // This would cause the function to take longer but the final
                    //  result is the same.
                    if (tmp != "") return tmp;
                }
            }
            return "";

}

private string getDeeper(Control this_control, string control_name) {
            foreach (Control ctrl in this_control.Controls) {

// If this is the right control
                if (ctrl.Name == control_name) {
                    return returnValue(ctrl);

// Look inside container elements
                } else if (ctrl.Controls.Count > 0) {
                    string tmp = getDeeper(ctrl, control_name);

//  See the comment above in the get() method
                    if (tmp != "") return tmp;
                }
            }
            return "";
        }

private string returnValue(Control this_control) {

// If it's a textbox then just return the .Text() 
            if (this_control.ToString().StartsWith("System.Windows.Forms.TextBox")) {
                return this_control.Text;

// Combo box
            } else if (this_control.ToString().StartsWith("System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox")) {
                return this_control.Text;

// Radio button
            } else if (this_control.ToString().StartsWith("System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton")) {
                return this_control.Checked.ToString();
            } else {
                return "";
            } 
        }
So the error (shown in red above) is due to the fact that this_control is being treated as a generic control, however the if statement that leads me to that offending line guarantees that the control is indeed a radio button (and therefore should have a Checked() method).

Is there a way for me to "typecast" this_control as a RadioButton so that the compiler is happy?

OR am I being obtuse and there's some magical way of making a generic get() method using native C# tools?

Last edited by KaneT; July 23rd, 2012 at 07:45 PM.