Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > XML > BOOK: Beginning XML, 4th Ed ISBN: 978-0-470-11487-2
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning XML, 4th Ed ISBN: 978-0-470-11487-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning XML, 4th Edition by David Hunter, Jeff Rafter, Joe Fawcett, Eric van der Vlist, Danny Ayers, Jon Duckett, Andrew Watt, Linda McKinnon; ISBN: 9780470114872
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning XML, 4th Ed ISBN: 978-0-470-11487-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Problem inserting entities into XML

Hi

Chapter 4 - DTDS's - "Try It Out - Making Contact, Part 4" - page 136

I have successfully run through the above exercise by downloading the code from the wrox.com website, however when I go to open either the contacts4.xml or contacts5.xml file in a web browser, it does not seem to be retrieving the entity data from the dtd files and inserting it into the XML document -

Using IE v9.08112.16421, the XML page loads, but the general entities are blank.

Using Firefox 8.0.1, I get the following error:
"XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: file:///E:/SQL%20Server/Temp/XML/Chapter4/contacts4.xml
Line Number 3, Column 1:<contacts source="&source-text;" version="1.0">
^"

The XML files, the DTD files and all of the entity files being referenced are in the same folder, and I haven't changed anything in the code, so just curious as to what I might be doing wrong. The XML validates and is well formed.

Many thanks