Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Facebook Application Development ISBN: 978-0-470-24666-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Facebook Application Development by Nick Gerakines; ISBN: 9780470246665
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Facebook Application Development ISBN: 978-0-470-24666-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Default Outdated

Doesn't cover the new Facebook version. After reading, I'm still not able to do things I'd imagine are elementary like make a profile box come up. There's a few morsels of knowledge in here. But for the most part, I bought a book and still have to seek online to try to get answers.
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to ngerakines Send a message via Yahoo to ngerakines Send a message via Skype™ to ngerakines

As the author, I would be happy to help you get more out of this. If there are any particular areas that you would like more information on, I can work on a few updated articles. Can you reply with a list of the topics, areas and tasks that you would like to accomplish but feel the book doesn't cover due to Facebook Platform changes.

I'm considering making a mirror of the source code for this book available on GitHub and keeping it up-to-date as the Facebook Platform changes. Would this be of interest to you?
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Hey Nick, thanks for your interest on behalf of the reader. Means a lot.

Since this post, I did finally figure out how to get a profile box to come up putting the pieces together with setFBML and the fb:add-section-button. I found an example of code that used that (through the smilies demo available deep in the bowels of FB's documentation).

I've been programming in PHP for 7 years now and I've found the best way I learn as a reader is typically a hybrid of example and then in the long run a reference section. The beginning example in the book, even with the changes Facebook has made to the application setup, I believe most people can figure out. I like the principle of the "Hello World", because it's the only place I have found a good working example of a "Hello World". Thumbs up on that.

I think using a "Hello World" example and building on it throughout the book would have helped. I realize that there's a lot of ground to cover when creating an application and that a few additions were made later in an advanced section to the application, but some of Facebook's basic features for an application weren't covered (like setting up and manipulating a profile box for an application). All the pieces are there in the book, but putting "2 and 2" together is very difficult for someone new to this API.

In regards to seeing a working example that keeps up to date with facebook, that would be wonderful. And if you were able to spend a little extra time with a few snippets to do some additional tasks not covered in the book, that would be GOLD.

From a beginning Facebook developer's point of view (which I'd assume would be the level of most readers), the most difficult and frustrating thing with Facebook is "how to get it to show up". Once you are able to make that contact with the API, obviously it's mostly now leaning on the developer's application and making use of a reference to FBML and the API.

I know my response here is a bit lengthy. But my first application I guess you could say was a rather simple one. It was profile box only where the information changes weekly. Looking back, I needed to know:

- How to allow a user to set up a profile box using fb:add-section-button.
- How to use fb:ref
- Understanding FB's cache system
- How to make use up refreshRefUrl()

All of the information was in the book except a clear example when it came to creating/altering a profile box which. It merits good explanation since I think it is a fairly common. Doing so also helps to understand putting FBML and the different facets of their interface into action. I found there's a lot of things that can be covered here beyond my need, such as making use of their data storage, working with FB's cache challenges, etc.

As far as the outdated part, there's nothing that can really be done there unless a new version of the book is released to cover the new features/methods/tags and which are now deprecated. But up to date code with better practices of the new version would be a lot of help.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to skalrynd For This Useful Post:
jminatel (January 11th, 2009)
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to ngerakines Send a message via Yahoo to ngerakines Send a message via Skype™ to ngerakines

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to give so much helpful feedback.

I've created a repository for the code used in the book and posted it onto GitHub for you to watch and fork. I don't want to deviate too much with the projects that are already associated with the written material for each of the chapters, so the immediate plan is to update the existing projects to comply with the current Facebook Platform.

If you create a GitHub account and follow the project, you'll get updates and notifications of the changes as they happen. I suspect that it is the best way to stay in the loop.

http://github.com/ngerakines/faceboo...ox/tree/master
The Following User Says Thank You to ngerakines For This Useful Post:
jminatel (January 11th, 2009)
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Default FB Developer Beginer

Hey Nick, thanks for take the time to write this book.

My name is Jose and I am from Chile. I bought the book in a trip to LA with a group of kids that I mentor in an educative robotics team.

I am from management area and I want to introduce myself in FB Development to work better with the kids that I told you before. I want to develope my tesis project for master degree of Logistics and Operation System with this tool.

The idea is to create logistics games (like Minesweeper) and discover the strategies that kids developes to solve the problems (games) and the performance they reach (I believe that fb is the best place to do this). I don't know how hard it will be and I would know your apreciation of How difficult it could be?

Is difficult to find information and materials in spanish and my english level is far away from the informatics vocabulary but I will do my best effort even I want to spread my future knowledge with the kids creating a young FB development team.

I have problems trying to understand the servers administrations stuffs. I create my Joyent account as FB Developers recomended but I cant find the index.php file to change the codes neither a tutorial that explain how Joyent works. Can you help me with this troubles?

Thanks a lot!

Josť
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM

Smile Update edition

Nick (and Wrox),

Are you planning on releasing an updated edition, or some sort of expansion to clarify platform changes?

I know with software platforms the moment you write a tutorial it is out of date.

My main issue is with functions/methods like require_add(). Looking on the developer wiki, all I can find is that it is deprectated. How do you correct this when the tutorial you are following uses this deprecated method?

I am going to take a look at the source files on the Github site.

Thank you for the book.

Aric