Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > PHP/MySQL > BOOK: Leveraging Drupal: Getting Your Site Done Right ISBN: 9780470410875
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Leveraging Drupal: Getting Your Site Done Right ISBN: 9780470410875
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Leveraging Drupal: Getting Your Site Done Right by Victor Kane; ISBN: 9780470410875
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Leveraging Drupal: Getting Your Site Done Right ISBN: 9780470410875 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Wrox Author

Default The advantages of installing and updating the Drupal release with CVS

Installation

Very often, the wonderful Drupal security team comes up with a new security release of Drupal core itself.

When that happens, you want to upgrade relatively quickly (after waiting for 24 hours to make sure no-one is having problems...) you don't want to just copy the new version over the old, since it is possible that a single file is split into two, for example, or one is removed, and you don't want conflicting code hanging around in your file system. You want a clean, accurate and fast install every time.

To do that the original install should be done via CVS, then it is just a matter of a simple CVS update command specifying the new Drupal release.

To checkout a specific Drupal release (here 6.8) to a new specific sub-directory which will become Drupal document root, here "www", execute the following:
Code:
$ cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous@cvs.drupal.org:/cvs/drupal co -d www -r DRUPAL-6-8 drupal
Executing this statement on the command line will create a new Drupal document root just below the current directory, called "www". If I omit "-d www", then it will create a new Drupal document root called "drupal".

Just visit drupal.org homepage to see which is the current release, and which releases you should be upgrading to.

Upgrading to new release

This is to be executed within document root! That is, if I had created a new Drupal install at document root "www", I would change directory to www and then executing the following will upgrade to Drupal 6.9:
Code:
$ cvs update -dPr DRUPAL-6-9
If you omit "r{release tag}", in this case "DRUPAL-6-9", you will check out HEAD, which you won't be wanting to do on a production site!

Simple, clean, efficient, easily reversible: you can't beat it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM

hello :)

I just got my copy of leveraging drupal and I'm currently on the 2nd chapter

I'm using a wamp-server as my playground and I since I now understand the advantages of CVS I would to use it too!

is this possible? the command you give above is not working in windows (I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try...)

thnx in advance!
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bserem View Post
hello :)

I just got my copy of leveraging drupal and I'm currently on the 2nd chapter
Wonderful! Hope it is helping you!

Quote:
I'm using a wamp-server as my playground and I since I now understand the advantages of CVS I would to use it too!
Great! But just to be clear, I am recommending CVS for the install and update of Drupal core only; for ./sites/ and everything below (your own installed themes, modifications you make to themes, and custom and contributed modules) I am recommending SVN (subversion) version control, although mercurial, bazaar, git, etc. are good choices too. CVS for Drupal because they still use it, despite its limitations, for the Drupal repository.

Quote:
is this possible[to use CVS on Windows]? the command you give above is not working in windows (I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try...)
Well, CVS always has to be installed as an additional application. On Windows, you have many options, here are three:

1. http://www.tortoisecvs.org/ (recommended, it's a GUI which integrates fully with Windows Explorer, but also leaves you with a command line version).
2. http://www.wincvs.org/ (the old favorite on Windows until 1. came along).

Thrilled you are working your way through the book, please tell us about your progress on this forum, or else on the Leveraging Drupal chapter by chapter workshop pages ( http://awebfactory.com.ar/node/348#workshop )
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM

thank you for your reply! I'm checking Tortoise at the moment

I'm working my way through the Literary Workshop because:
  • I have no experience with CCK (none at all) and chapter 2 seemed like a good time to get my hands on it
  • I wanted to know what is considered a good way to do things (installing, upgrading, whatever...)
  • step by step helps me where my english won't help me

I'll try to go through 1 or 2 chapters per week (if work allows me to do so) and I will gladly post any feedback!

in case you wanted to know: Leveraging Drupal is the first book I bought online and the first time I bought a learning book
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bserem View Post
thank you for your reply! I'm checking Tortoise at the moment

I'm working my way through the Literary Workshop because:
  • I have no experience with CCK (none at all) and chapter 2 seemed like a good time to get my hands on it
  • I wanted to know what is considered a good way to do things (installing, upgrading, whatever...)
  • step by step helps me where my english won't help me
I'll try to go through 1 or 2 chapters per week (if work allows me to do so) and I will gladly post any feedback!

in case you wanted to know: Leveraging Drupal is the first book I bought online and the first time I bought a learning book
That's fascinating! Looking forward to hearing from you in the future!