Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Ajax ISBN: 978-0-471-77778-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Ajax by Nicholas C. Zakas, Jeremy McPeak, Joe Fawcett; ISBN: 9780471777786
Important: For the new 2nd edition of this book, please post here instead: [url="http://p2p.wrox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=307"]http://p2p.wrox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=307[/url]
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Ajax ISBN: 978-0-471-77778-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Default "&" is not a good join char!

Hi,
On chapter 2, in the first box code you wrote:

return aParams.join("&");

I think "&" is not a good char to make join()... When there's a "&" in a element value you will have an incoplete post!

How can I fix this?

Thanks...

Old April 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 467, Level: 7 Points: 467, Level: 7 Points: 467, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Howdy, erme2.

Joining the elements of the array with "&" is a requirement for HTTP communication. The string returned by aParams.join() is the request body sent to the server, and "&" has to separate the key/value pairs. No other character can be used.

You do have a point that problems can arise if "&" is in an element of the array. However, the code in Chapter 2 makes this a non-issue by encoding both the key and the value with the encodeURIComponent() method. Here is the getRequestBody() function as detailed in Chapter 2:

Code:
function getRequestBody(oForm) {
    var aParams = new Array();

for (var i=0 ; i < oForm.elements.length; i++) {
        var sParam = encodeURIComponent(oForm.elements[i].name);
        sParam += "=";
        sParam += encodeURIComponent(oForm.elements[i].value);
        aParams.push(sParam);
    } 

}
Any "&" that is passed to encodeURIComponent() ends up as %26, effectively dodging any issue that would otherwise arise with "&".

------------------------
Jeremy McPeak
Author of:
Professional Ajax, 2nd Edition
Beginning JavaScript, 3rd Edition

http://www.wdonline.com
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM

"Any "&" that is passed to encodeURIComponent() ends up as %26, effectively dodging any issue that would otherwise arise with "&"."

You are right, I was so tired...
Really my problems started whit checkbox and radio elements, I solved with a switch case but writing the default case I omitted some code...

Thanks for your help I solved so...
(it works!)

function getRequestBody(funct_form) {
    var aParams = new Array();
    for (i=0; i<funct_form.elements.length; i++) {
        switch (funct_form.elements[i].type) {
            case 'radio':
                if (funct_form.elements[i].value=='S' && funct_form.elements[i].checked) { var sParam = funct_form.elements[i].name+"=S"; aParams.push(sParam); }
                else { var sParam = funct_form.elements[i].name+"=N"; aParams.push(sParam); }
                break;
            case 'checkbox':
                if (funct_form.elements[i].checked==true) { var sParam = funct_form.elements[i].name+"="+funct_form.elements[i].value; aParams.push(sParam); }
                break;
            default:
                var sParam = encodeURIComponent(funct_form.elements[i].name);
                sParam += "=";
                sParam += encodeURIComponent(funct_form.elements[i].value);
                aParams.push(sParam);
        }
    }
}