Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Web Programming > JavaScript > BOOK: Professional Ajax ISBN: 978-0-471-77778-6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Ajax ISBN: 978-0-471-77778-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Ajax by Nicholas C. Zakas, Jeremy McPeak, Joe Fawcett; ISBN: 9780471777786
Important: For the new 2nd edition of this book, please post here instead: [url="http://p2p.wrox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=307"]http://p2p.wrox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=307[/url]
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Ajax ISBN: 978-0-471-77778-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Default Zxml.js and input radio problem

Hi everyone.

I use zxml.js on many projects and it works great. But now I suddenly used it with <input type="radio" /> and I don't know how to solve the puzzle =)

When I submit the form, zxml.js sends a request with sumthing like this:

bg=0&bg=1&stroke=0&stroke=1&stroke=2&stroke=3

As you see I have 2 radios named "bg" and 4 named "stroke". I supposed that the result of form submission wolud be only the selected radios. Not all ptesented on the page.

Please help. I gotta have only the selected radios =) In example bg=1&stroke=2

Thanks ahead.

Old December 6th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 9,763, Level: 42 Points: 9,763, Level: 42 Points: 9,763, Level: 42
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I don't think zXml is to blame, can you show the actual form and how you are posting the data?

--

Joe (Microsoft MVP - XML)
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Thanks for response.

For a simple example I take the code from HTML 4.01 Spec:

<FORM action="http://somesite.com/prog/adduser" method="post">
    <P>
    First name: <INPUT type="text" name="firstname"><BR>
    Last name: <INPUT type="text" name="lastname"><BR>
    email: <INPUT type="text" name="email"><BR>
    <INPUT type="radio" name="************" value="Male"> Male<BR>
    <INPUT type="radio" name="************" value="Female"> Female<BR>
    <INPUT type="submit" value="Send"> <INPUT type="reset">
    </P>
</FORM>

Then I added some code so that it worked without refresh.

<form method="post" name="form" id="form" onsubmit="sendRequest(this.id); return false;" action="test.html">
    <P>
    First name: <INPUT type="text" name="firstname"><BR>
    Last name: <INPUT type="text" name="lastname"><BR>
    email: <INPUT type="text" name="email"><BR>
    <INPUT type="radio" name="************" value="Male"> Male<BR>
    <INPUT type="radio" name="************" value="Female"> Female<BR>
    <INPUT type="submit" value="Send"> <INPUT type="reset">
    </P>
</FORM>
<p id="reform">&nbsp;</p>

Of course Zxml.js id implied and I added some JS.

function sendRequest(fId) {var oForm = document.getElementById(fId);var sBody = getRequestBody(oForm);var oXmlHttp = zXmlHttp.createRequest();oXmlHttp.open("post", oForm.action, true);oXmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");oXmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Charset", "windows-1251");oXmlHttp.onreadystatechange = function () {if (oXmlHttp.readyState == 4) {if (oXmlHttp.status == 200) {saveResult(oXmlHttp.responseText, oForm);} else {saveResult("Error: " + oXmlHttp.statusText, oForm);}}};oXmlHttp.send(sBody);}

function getRequestBody(oForm) {var aParams = new Array();for (var i=0 ; i < oForm.elements.length; i++) {var sParam = encodeURIComponent(oForm.elements[i].name);sParam += "=";sParam += encodeURIComponent(oForm.elements[i].value);aParams.push(sParam);}return aParams.join("&");}

function saveResult(sMessage, ooo) {var divStatus = document.getElementById('re' + ooo.id);divStatus.innerHTML = sMessage;}

In the test.html file I just print all the posted form elements by server-side script. It show relevant vars for input.text, input.select etc. But not for radios — it's always a first input.radio.value in the form. That's because it get it from the request I showed above.

Old December 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 9,763, Level: 42 Points: 9,763, Level: 42 Points: 9,763, Level: 42
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

When a form is submitted naturally then only the names of the radio buttons that are selected are sent along with their values or "on" as a default.

Your code just loops through them all and sends the value, if you want to imitate a submission then you must verify if they're checked before including them in sMessage.

--

Joe (Microsoft MVP - XML)