Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages ISBN: 978-0-470-12448-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages by Jacob J. Sanford; ISBN: 9780470124482
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages ISBN: 978-0-470-12448-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Default newbie

HI,

Just purchased your book and getting through it gradually. I have been programming windows apps with VB 6.0 for the past 2 years and finally pushed myself to learn how to create web pages. Easier said than done!

I created the following layout using VB 6.0 windows form, which took around 30 mins.
http://www.members.aol.com/jono1970/layout

It has been 3 days now and I am still struggling to create the same layout on a web form using VS 2005 ASP 2.0....ggrrrrrrrrr:( - it's so frustration.I am not sure how long it would take an expert to achieve this.

I am using css and div and basically throwing lables and textboxes on the page row by row. I have managed to hash the first part of the form (light blue area) and the only way I could get the image object and the list box (far right-dark blue box)was to use a fixed position:

#picture
     {
        position: fixed;
        top:15px;
        right: 351px;
        width: 10em;
         }

#conditions
     {
        position: fixed;
        top: 200px;
        right: 351px;
        width: 10em;
         }
However, now when i change the browser's size the image and list box move out of alignment.

Anyway, I was hoping you could assist/advise me on how to achieve the above properly and put me out of my misery.

Thanks in advance

John

Ps this post may appear somewhere else as my previous post appears to have got lost in the etha.

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via ICQ to surfer5 Send a message via AIM to surfer5 Send a message via MSN to surfer5 Send a message via Yahoo to surfer5

Hey John-

Thanks for trying out the book! You and I have similar backgrounds. I started off my programming career doing VB6 windows forms and moved over to classic ASP from there because, at the time, they were very similar. However, there is a much larger gap between ASP.NET and VB6. I recently had to go back and work on a VB6 windows application (that I didn't create so I was totally unfamiliar with the code) and I struggled a bit. So I can empathize. :)

Anyway, would it be possible for you to post what you have so far on your website? Just put up the HTML and CSS (and image I guess) so that I can see how you are getting it to work and maybe make some suggestions. I almost never used fixed positioning because of the problems you have now seen. I am sure we can figure it out but I would like to see how you are doing the other areas and then maybe I can make some suggestions on how to adjust the image that would better suit your needs.

Just so you will know, I am out of town on a consulting job (which is why it took me this long to reply) and I may be delayed in responding. But I promise I will. I love CSS - especially challenging issues. You have me intrigued and I can't wait to dig into it. Yes, I am a dork. :D

-Jacob

Old December 5th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for coming to my rescue:D

As I am using VS2005 ASP 2.0 controls, which is probably why my page does not work on AOL webspace. I gues I could have re-written the page but simply do not have the time. I have published my work, which is less than desirable @

http://www.jgs-services.com:81/

You can always download the files from

http://www.members.aol.com/jono1970/css

I have to say that my page is based on hours of trial and error and viewing source/taking pickings from other websites - not sure if that is legal!
I tend to learn quicker dismembering examples and assembling bit by bit, learning as I go and referring to books like yours. I can never sit there and read a book all the way through. This is partly because I write small programs as a sideline for the college I work for and no cash changes hands. They just buy me the software and I am happy tinkering away.
I love the thrill you get when you launch an app for others to use - awesome.

anyway, don't start me waffling on:D

Thanks again for your support. This is the first ever book I have purchased where the author actually supports his customers. Excellent after sales!

Regards,

John

Old December 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Friend of Wrox

John,

I can't view AOL sites from work due to web filtering. So I can't offer you help right now. If your .aspx file isn't too big you could post it here.

It's also possible that AOL is not responsible for your problems. If you paid money for the service they should let you do what you want. If they don't support ASP.NET 2.0 you'd get a big nasty error right away.

Eric