Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages ISBN: 978-0-470-12448-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages by Jacob J. Sanford; ISBN: 9780470124482
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages ISBN: 978-0-470-12448-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Default Chapter 8 style.aspx page

In chapter 8 dealing with themes, the style.aspx page for using conditional logic for CSS is not working for me in ASP.NET 2.0. I am using Visual Studio 2005 Pro with SP1 on an XP Pro machine.

Any ideas how to make it work?

Thanks,

Jim
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via ICQ to surfer5 Send a message via AIM to surfer5 Send a message via MSN to surfer5 Send a message via Yahoo to surfer5

Hey Jim-

Can you put up here the conditional logic that is failing for you? If you can copy and paste it from your own project, I might be able to find the problem. Sometimes something seemingly insignificant can cause the entire thing not to work.

Case in point, I just helped another reader figure out how to get the CSS Adapaters to work on his project. The major problem? His CSS Class referenced AspNet-Gridview instead of AspNet-GridView. If you didn't immediately see the difference, the v isn't capitalized in his example but it is in the divs rendered by the adapters. And CSS is case-sensitive. So, when the browser was looking for the style rules for AspNet-GridView it couldn't find any and so it didn't apply any style.

Anyway, it is hopefully something as simple as that that you might spend all day looking at and not see but a fresh set of eyes might spot immediately. If you can post the code you are using, I can download it here and run it and see what I see.

Thanks!

-Jacob

Jacob J. Sanford
Author of Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages
Co-author of Professional SharePoint 2007 Design
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via ICQ to surfer5 Send a message via AIM to surfer5 Send a message via MSN to surfer5 Send a message via Yahoo to surfer5

also, you might find benefit in downloading the original source code for this chapter:

http://media.wiley.com/product_ancil.../Chapter_8.zip

Jacob J. Sanford
Author of Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages
Co-author of Professional SharePoint 2007 Design
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Here is my source code for the CSS conditional logic in style.aspx.
Code:
body
{
    font-size: xx-large;
    <% if(myTheme == "myFirstTheme") { %>
    <% if (browser == "IE") { %>
        background-color: Black;
        color: White;
    <%} else { %>
        background-color: steelblue;
        color: Silver;
    <%} %>