Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming by Mitchel Sellers and Shaun Walker - Wrox DotNetNuke Series Editor; ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Default Guestbook DNN Manifest

On page 142 & 143, the tags that appear in listing 8-19 and 8-20 are slightly different than what is in the actual project file. For example, the book says that the new module definition starts with a <moduleDefinition> tag. The actual source file in the project contains a tag named <module>. Other examples are <moduleControl> vs. <control> and <controlType> vs. <type>.

I am building the sample project in VS 2008 with a DNN 5.0.1 installation. Maybe the difference is due to something that changed between DNN 4 and DNN 5.

Jim
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Default VB or CS?

Also, listing 8-20 (VB Manifest Module Addition) adds:

<controlSrc>DesktopModules/GuestbookCS/Settings.ascx</controlSrc>
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:36 AM

Default Missed a step?

Go back to Listing 6-15. If you follow the instructions there and "entirely replace the text of the .dnn files generated by the templates," the issues with the tags will be cleared up.

Don't worry. I made the same mistake. There were a lot of code examples up to that point in chapter 6 that were meant only to be read, not copied into the project. Perhaps the authors should have told us more explicitly to stop reading and start typing. It is ironic that the first thing we are supposed to type into our sample project is the entire .dnn manifest, the most unfamiliar component of the whole process. No wonder we didn't do it.

Also, the instructions at 6-15 say to replace all occurrences of GuestbookCS with GuestbookVB to create the VB.NET manifest file. So, my previous post is also handled by following the instructions more thoroughly.

- Paul

Last edited by pgPlayer; March 14th, 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Wrox Author

Send a message via MSN to msellers Send a message via Skype™ to msellers

Paul and others,

Sorry about that, in reviewing the book, there are a few inconsistencies between the book figures/text and the proper ones.

Paul's approach outlined in the previous post is a proper workaround for the issue.
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

My blog for .NET and DotNetNuke info

Author of "Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming"

Tech Editor on "Visual Studio 2010 six-in-one" and "Pro C# 4.0"
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Default ModuleId differs when posting and "moderating"

Hi.

I'm not sure if I've missed something but, when you sign the guestbook it, for example, saves the post with ModuleId 405 in the database and when you try to approve or delete a post it has ModuleId 406, and of course nothing happens.

My question now is that what would the right way to correct this issue or have I just missed "some sort of linking"?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

I saw that you had code examples from all of your books and thought I'd take a look.

[SOLUTION] In EditGuestbookCS.ascx.cs there was a line missing. Right after requesting the query string "EntryId" and checking it with null:

Code:
//Get the sign module id
int oSignModuleId = int.Parse(Settings["WroxModules_Guestbook_SignModule"].ToString());
(In the book, this.ModuleId was used and now oSignModuleId)

Last edited by Simppi; August 27th, 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Solved