Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming by Mitchel Sellers and Shaun Walker - Wrox DotNetNuke Series Editor; ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Authorized User

From what I'm seeing, I think you have to include both the class as well as the assembly. Every manifest I've looked at so far has this and I was able to find a direct reference on the DotNetNuke website here here:

http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/...s/Default.aspx
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via MSN to msellers Send a message via Skype™ to msellers

I have at least 30-40 modules in production that contain just the fully qualified class name, so I can confirm that from dnn 4.x and 5.x it is NOT required to be anything else.
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

My blog for .NET and DotNetNuke info

Author of "Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming"

Tech Editor on "Visual Studio 2010 six-in-one" and "Pro C# 4.0"
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Authorized User

Getting close. My IPortable is working (export and import). That tells me my businessControllerClass is hooked up correctly.

Here's where I am with IUpgradeable...

I've written my SchedulerClient class (Inherits DotNetNuke.Services.Scheduling.SchedulerClient), and have a procedure in my businessControllerClass that installs the class into the dnn task scheduler (if it doesn't already exist). My IUpgradable function calls this procedure - but it's not working. The scheduled task is not created.

As a test, I threw a button on my view control and wired it to the procedure that installs up my new SchedulerClient into the scheduler. When I push the button, the new dnn scheduled task is there. So I can rule out bad code.

I am wondering if the IUpgradeable runs at all when we (as developers) use the 'create new module' interface - instead of the 'install module' interface. Does the 'create new module' interface trigger IUpgradeable?

As an additional test to help me understand this question, I wrote some code inside of my IUpgradeable function that creates an event log entry (viewable through admin => event viewer). This bit of code runs outside of the select / case structure that checks for the version number. I remove my module, reinstall it, and check the event viewer. Nothing there. So I have a hunch the method I'm using to install my module does not trigger IUpgradeable.

Documentation on all of this is kinda slim on the web. Finding bits and pieces.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via MSN to msellers Send a message via Skype™ to msellers

I believe that you must install the module, and the process to do it isn't guaranteed, the "IUpgradable" interface is a bit flaky.

As a fall-back, I'd setup a way for this to be validated via settings etc.
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

My blog for .NET and DotNetNuke info

Author of "Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming"

Tech Editor on "Visual Studio 2010 six-in-one" and "Pro C# 4.0"
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Authorized User

Finishing up a module and decided to see how the DNN 'Create Package' feature would do at writing out my .DNN file for me. I noticed something that the book doesn't include and may explain why my iUpgradeable isn't firing for me during the installation of my last module project.

There is a node called <eventMessage>...</eventMessage> that is a child node of <component type="Module">...

Haven't tested this yet but I plan on it soon and will post back if this is the missing piece to get iUpgradeable to work.

I found this in the auto-generated .DNN file (leaving enough of the surrounding text so you can see where it goes):

</desktopModule>
<eventMessage>
<processorType>DotNetNuke.Entities.Modules.EventMe ssageProcessor, DotNetNuke</processorType>
<processorCommand>UpgradeModule</processorCommand>
<attributes>
<businessControllerClass>CD_Development.Modules.CD _DocumentManager.CD_BusinessControllerClass.vb</businessControllerClass>
<desktopModuleID>[DESKTOPMODULEID]</desktopModuleID>
<upgradeVersionsList>01.00.00</upgradeVersionsList>
</attributes>
</eventMessage>
</component>
<component type="Assembly">

Last edited by shirk99; March 29th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.