Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming by Mitchel Sellers and Shaun Walker - Wrox DotNetNuke Series Editor; ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17116-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Default Adding a skin object to a skin

I am on page 231 of the book. I have created my skin object, and am trying to add it to a skin.

The book says to look at the file /portals/_default/skins/extropy/portal.ascx. However:

I don't have an Extropy directory. I do have a MinimalExtropy directory so I'm assuming that is where I need to look. However there is no portal.ascx file in that location. Actually there isn't a portal.ascx anywhere in my portals directory.

From my settings for the site, I think I should be putting the specified code in index 1280.ascx. The book doesn't get specific about where should the control declarations should be placed, I've tried different locations but nothing appears on when the pages are rendered.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,
Lou
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via MSN to msellers Send a message via Skype™ to msellers

There was a change in the name of the default file path in recent revisions of DNN.

You can use any .ascx in the MinalExtropy file.
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

My blog for .NET and DotNetNuke info

Author of "Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming"

Tech Editor on "Visual Studio 2010 six-in-one" and "Pro C# 4.0"
The Following User Says Thank You to msellers For This Useful Post:
LSyracuse (November 15th, 2010)
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Wow, that was fast! I just came back from getting a cup of coffee and already there was a reply. :)

I thought it might be something like that, and I was able to determine that I am working with the correct aspx file by purposly misspelling the Src value in the Register line. But no matter where I put the control declaration code nothing appears. Nor does it generate an error in the event log.

I took a look at my project again, in the ViewCurrentTimeSkinObject.ascx file I do get a warning of "Namespace or type specified in the Imports "System.Web.UI.WebControls/Expressions' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found....". Thinking that could be the problem, but everything looks right. We are still blanking out the Root Namespece textbox in the projects application settings, right?

Thanks for your assistance!
Lou
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Found the problem in my code. Something I overlooked, now that I see it it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again!
Lou