Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Microsoft Servers > BOOK: Professional IIS 7 ISBN: 978-0-470-09782-3
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional IIS 7 ISBN: 978-0-470-09782-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional IIS 7 by Ken Schaefer, Jeff Cochran, Scott Forsyth, Rob Baugh, Mike Everest, Dennis Glendenning; ISBN: 9780470097823
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional IIS 7 ISBN: 978-0-470-09782-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Default Combining ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 (and later?)

Hello,

I have been asked to help a company move their web sites to a new server.
Old Server: Windows 2003 and IIS6.
New Server: Windows 2008 and IIS7 (hence purchase of your very good book)
Problem: The company has several webform apps that are treated as applications that run on ASP.NET 1.1. They run under web sites that are configured as 2.0.
In Chapter 4 (Installing IIS) you have a section on installing and managing ASP.NET 1.1 (starts p 97).
I followed all steps, including making the addition to the machine.config file IgnoreSectionhandler type for the 1.1 framework.
I then created a 2.0 web site added a 1.1 sub site as an application. The 2.0 web site is assigned to a 2.0 enabled application pool and the 1.1 is added to a 1.1 enabled application pool.
When I run a page from the 1.1 site I get the following error:
--------------------------------------
Server Error in '/AgentSite' Application. (my note: this is the 1.1 app)
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'.
Source Error:
Line 1: <?xml version="1.0"?>
Line 2: <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
--------------------------------------

The the offending line is in the web.config file of the 2.0 parent site.
It seems the child site is having trouble with the fact that this is not a configuration section, but rather an attribute of the configuration section.

I've looked all over and seen no recent listings for this particular problem relating to IIS7.

Any ideas?
All time and help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Default Solution

Hmnnnn...

As of this date I see lot of views, but no attempts at an answer. After spending considerable time floundering, we wound up doing the following:

We found that the offending line (<configuration xmlns=....) is meant to facilitate the development environment. See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228147.aspx

Hence, we could safely remove the xmlns attribute on the production server.

Other than that though, we kept running into problem further down the line with elements in the config file. We have done two things with the 1.1 applications:

1) Upgraded to ASP.NET 2.0. (usually after deep thought from IT staff)
2) For those sites that caused managers to tremble in fear when they thought about converting, we created an application pool for each 1.1 site that runs 2.0 in classic pipeline. This has been stable with no difficulties.

Good luck to all future viewers of this post.