Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Microsoft Smartphone Programming ISBN: 978-0-471-76293-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Microsoft Smartphone Programming by Baijian Yang, Pei Zheng, Lionel M. Ni; ISBN: 9780471762935
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Microsoft Smartphone Programming ISBN: 978-0-471-76293-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to zionvier
Default CE 5.0 vs Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Project types

I have a treo 700. Looking in the system information for it it says it's running Windows Mobile 5.0

So I'd assume that I'd want to create a new project and select "Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone" as the type. This can't be correct because there's a major tool missing from the toolbox, button. The Treo has a touch screen and buttons are common occurrences in it's software. I noticed that out of the 4 "Smart Device" projects VS 2005 offers the only one that includes a button as a tool is the Windows CE 5.0 by default

What project type should I actually be developing with considering they will both run on the Treo? Logical thought is to just use the CE 5.0.

-Pete
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Pete,

I am so sorry that when we were writting the book Treo did not support Windows Mobile 5.0.

My guess is that you will probably have to stick to CE5.0 to take the full advantages of the touch screen and button controls. But then you will lose the convenience (and the safety) of .NET CF.

Anothing thing you may consider is to take a look at the newer Windows Mobile 6.0 SDKs. Hopefully, one of the SDK may help you with your Treo 700.

Thanks!
Baijian

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Hello,

You'll probably find that the Treo is not the same as the normal windows mobile smartphone, instead its more of a PDA. Therefore when you select a project type you need to select a PDA/PocketPC based project in Visual Studio.

If you are using windows mobile 6.0 select a "Device Application" template from the "Windows Mobile 6 Professional" project type.

Hope this helps :).