Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SharePoint > SharePoint 2007 > BOOK: Professional SharePoint 2007 Design ISBN: 978-0-470-28580-0
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SharePoint 2007 Design ISBN: 978-0-470-28580-0 Discuss the book Professional SharePoint 2007 Design by Jacob J. Sanford, Randy Drisgill, David Drinkwine, Coskun Cavusoglu; ISBN: 978-0-470-28580-0
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SharePoint 2007 Design ISBN: 978-0-470-28580-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM

Post Web parts don't drag and drop using mossman_intra.master

Hi,
I've created a site collection based on the Collaboration Site, then activated all publishing features. I'm creating a intranet collaboration portal, with the top level being used primarily as a publishing site, and many collaboration team sites below. I'm developing a custom master based on "mossman_intra.master" (from Chapter 8).

I attached the "mossman_intra.master" as the site and system master page. When in Edit Mode (using IE7), I am not able to move web parts (via drag and drop) within a zone or across zones. If I use the Web Part Tool Pane, and edit the Zone and Zone index in the Layout section, then the parts move as expected.

Can you tell me why drag and drop of webparts within or across zones is not working with this master? When using default.master, all webparts drag and drop as expected.

(While in Edit Mode, when I select a Web Part title bar, it says "Error on page" in the IE status bar.)

Thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:22 AM
Wrox Author

Try deleting line 44 of the CSS file:
position: relative; /* needed for footer positioning*/
This is a left over from the internet page styles that can be removed. Looks like the web part dragging gets confused when their parent container is positioned relatively. I'm not really sure why, must be something in the ootb javascript that gets confused.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM

Nice. Thanks for the quick reply. That was it, the relative positioning of the parent was indeed the offender. I did notice that when I selected the web part title bar to drag and drop, the orange "placement bar" (which indicates drop placement) was appearing outside the web part zones, and in fact outside the page layout area. If I notice any other weirdness I'll look to positioning and let you know.

Cheers.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Wrox Author

I tried to debug the "placement bar" issue, but as I was messing with it the problem went away on my SP server. I'm not sure if its sporadic or something was caching. But now my server (despite only having that one line change applied) is showing the placement bar in the correct position all the time.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Ooops. Sorry, but I steered you wrong with my last comment. The placement bar issue was happenning before the fix. It was just something I noticed that could have indicated (for me) the relative positioning problem you pointed out.

The fix fixed it! Thanks again.

(By the way, your book is great, as well as your templates! Really helpful. Strong work!)