Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Software Testing with Visual Studio 2005 Team System ISBN: 978-0-470-14978-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Software Testing with Visual Studio 2005 Team System: Tools for Software Developers and Test Engineers by Tom Arnold, Dominic Hopton, Andy Leonard, Mike Frost; ISBN: 9780470149782
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Software Testing with Visual Studio 2005 Team System ISBN: 978-0-470-14978-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Default Cant run load tests sequentially

Hello everyone!

I'll very appreciate your help!

Problem is in following: I can't run few load tests sequentially.

I've tried to add them to test list editor, then check and run all checked items; but only first load test seem to be performed, other don't. And in LoadTest table run duration of all load tests which run after first is 0.

Also I tried to create the ordered test, but it seems to include all tests except loadtests. Although this book says that ordered test can contain ANY test.

I will be very happy for any help !
Thank you.
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Hmm, not sure that I've tried this before (I'll ask around and see if this is expected to work - but I don't think it is). Offhand my guess is that the system does not support multple load tests in the same run. Since all of the results in a run get stored in the same results stores (TRX file &/or SQL) with the same TestRunID, I believe, and a Load Test has a large number of results.
Both Load Tests & Ordered Tests are more "test containers" then they are actual tests and so they do not work well combined.

A simple workaround would be to run the Load Tests from the cmd line. You could have a simple bat file that executed each of the LoadTests in the order that you want. Something like:
Code:
MsTest.exe /testcontainer:yourloadtest_1.loadtest /runconfig:rigsettings.testrunconfig
MsTest.exe /testcontainer:yourloadtest_2.loadtest /runconfig:rigsettings.testrunconfig
MsTest.exe /testcontainer:yourloadtest_3.loadtest /runconfig:rigsettings.testrunconfig
Would run each of the three loadtests one at a time. The results will be stored seperately, instead of in one TRX file as it woudl be if they were in one test run, but other than that it shoudl be pretty close to what you want.

Hope this helps,
-Mike Frost
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFrost For This Useful Post:
Svetlana (July 30th, 2009)
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Default Thank You!

Thank you very much for your reply!
I'm so happy someone answered me! And not just someone but the author of the book!
I supposed that this does not work not because of that I do something wrong. but because of load test is so complicated creature.
So I thnk I wont be able to create bat file. But i need to run it one after another, not in the same time.

Thank you for your answer one more time!
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Yes I agree it is not something that you are doing wrong, its just not supported. And yes it is because of the complex nature of a load test.

Coudl you explain why you can't use the BAT file option? That seems to solve your problem as far as I can tell. It will run each load test one after the other. Is there some other restriction you have?
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:27 AM

Default Misunderstood

There is no any other restriction.

I think I just misunderstood you.
If that runs files one after another it is just what I need!

Thank you very much for help!
It was very kind of you!

Best regards,
Svetlana/
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM

No problem, glad to help!
BTW, you might need to play around with the actual BAT file commandlines as there's a way to launch processes either asynchronously or synchronously. Personally I can never remember whether "foo.exe" or "call foo.exe" does the launch and wait.
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Default Data is rerecorded in LoadTest table

I have one more problem.

I've writen a bat file as you said.
Here it is
CALL "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat" x86

SET TESTROOTFOLDER=C:\Documents and Settings\loadtest\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Perf\Perf\

REM CD "C:\Documents and Settings\loadtest\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Perf\Perf"

MsTest.exe /testcontainer:"%TESTROOTFOLDER%l_createQ_pl_1user. loadtest" /runconfig:"%TESTROOTFOLDER%LocalTestRun.testruncon fig" >> loadtest.log
MsTest.exe /testcontainer:"%TESTROOTFOLDER%l_createQ_pl_10user .loadtest" /runconfig:"%TESTROOTFOLDER%LocalTestRun.testruncon fig" >> loadtest.log
MsTest.exe /testcontainer:"%TESTROOTFOLDER%l_createQ_pl_30user .loadtest" /runconfig:"%TESTROOTFOLDER%LocalTestRun.testruncon fig" >> loadtest.log

PAUSE

Now I have following Problem:
After this bat file runned I can see results ONLY for last load test in LoadTest database.
I've tried to run my load tests without bat file - from Visual studio - one by one.
In this case I can see transaction details for all three tests in LoadTest db.
But when I run it with bat file I can see only last.
It seems like with run of each loadtest in bat fle results start to record to db from the start, and data from other load test is erased by new data.

I'm so confused.
Will be glad for any help

Best regards,
Svetlana
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Default There is no problem

Sorry, don't mention the post above!
I solved this problem.
It was in my inattention.
I just wrote the wrong names of two tests in bat file and right of third test.
That is why it seemed to me that the old results are erased by new.

I'm very sorry for confusing you...

Good luck to everyone in load testing!

Best regards,
Svetlana