Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-8497-9
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764584978
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-8497-9 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM

Default Cannot find server or DNS server

Hi All,
I have two different machines (both running on Windows Server 2003) for my web server and my database server which are connected through a LAN. I have recently moved reporting services (SSRS 2005) to the web server machine (hosting WSS). SSRS 2005 has been succesfully installed on the web server machine and the Reporting Services Configuration Manager shows connectivity (Running state) between the reporting service and the database. But when I'm trying to view the report server in IE 6, it is giving a page not found error with the caption "Cannot find server or DNS error" at the bottom.
I am using the following url to connect to the report server - http://<reportserver_name>/reportserver
Here the <reportserver_name> is not the "localhost" but the website's name which I have created to host the reportserver on IIS. I have created a different named instance to hold the report service in IIS. This is done to create the report server on a non-default web site. I have also created a folder (not wwwroot) on my C:\ drive which points to the report server in IIS. I have checked the Reportserver website created in IIS and given it the required permissions and set it's properties appropriately. But I'm also not able to browse the report server in IIS. I think I could be missing some small points which are hindering the process. Would be very thankful if anybody could help me in this regard.
Thanks.

Last edited by techgeek; December 17th, 2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: adding some more points