Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-8497-9
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764584978
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-8497-9 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to chogarty
Default matrix pushing items off right edge

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

I'm using SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services and have a report with 2 matrices.
I'd like to not need to use a subreport but have found this to be the only way to not have the matrix push white space off to the right side of the page, causing the page to extend past its margin and create an additional page.
I tried the suggestion below, to use a rectangle, but did not see any difference. I tried merging the 4 cells in my table, placing the rectangle into that and then placing the matrix, sized appropriately, inside of the rectangle. Is there a setting in the property that I am missing, that also needs to be set for this to work.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Carrie

Using Rectangles to Control Item Growth and Displacement
Items within a rectangle become peers of each other and are governed by the rules of
how peer items are positioned on the page as they move or grow. For example:
· Items will push or displace each other within the rectangle.
· Items will not push or displace items outside the rectangle, because they are not
their peers.
· If necessary, a rectangle will grow to accommodate the items it contains.
You can use this logic to your advantage when dealing with objects that expand. For
example:
· If you want to leave a blank space in your report for a table to expand into, group
the blank space and the table in the same rectangle. When the table grows, it will
push the blank space.
· If you want to prevent a matrix from pushing items off the right edge of the page,
put the matrix within a rectangle with blank space to its right. Now, the matrix is no
longer a peer to the other item on the page and will not be able to push it until the
matrix can no longer be contained within its rectangle.

Carrie