Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Unified Communications Development with Microsoft Lync Server 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Unified Communications Development with Microsoft Lync Server 2010 by George Durzi, Michael Greenlee; ISBN: 978-0-470-93903-1
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Unified Communications Development with Microsoft Lync Server 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM

Default New Media Types

According to the SDK documentation, the UCMA 3.0 platform can be extended to work with the new, custom media types.

Can you provide any information on this topic or refer me to good resources (boks, links, blogs, etc...) beyond the SDK doc?.

Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

There really aren't any resources on this outside of the SDK docs, unfortunately. Creating custom media types is a very advanced capability that isn't used much and so we didn't try to cover it in the book.

If you explain a bit about what you're trying to do by creating a custom media type, or what questions you have, I'll do my best to help.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM

Default Group audio/video sessions on Lync Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenlee View Post
There really aren't any resources on this outside of the SDK docs, unfortunately. Creating custom media types is a very advanced capability that isn't used much and so we didn't try to cover it in the book.

If you explain a bit about what you're trying to do by creating a custom media type, or what questions you have, I'll do my best to help.
We need to build 'group audio/video support' for collaborative instruction. The teacher will invite a small group to participate. Each member of the small group will have a audio/video presence in the meeting. We need to build this as an application running on our own server. Clients will either be an extension of Lync Client or our own client app.

I see that Lync Server/UCMA APIs support two-way audio/video... If we were to create our own client to participate in multiple RTP sessions simultaneously, can we create an ApplicationEndpoint on the Lync Server (hopefully with UCMA APIs) that delivers a set of 'standard' audiovideoflows to the client?

My original question about custom media types assumed that a custom media type is needed for multi-point audio/video because UCMA only supports simple audio/video conversations. Maybe you have a better idea.

Last edited by gdepue; June 13th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Default New Media Types

Sorry, meant to say 'RTP sessions' (with RTCP oversight).
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM

I think I'm missing part of the context. From what you're describing, it seems like you could just use an audio/video conference to hold all the participants in the instructional session. Have you tried that, or does it not work for your situation? I can give you some details on how you would set up the conference in UCMA if you like.

Sorry if I'm not understanding properly.
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:32 AM

Default Best life with Money

Hello everyone as i am a new member of this forum i found this forum very interesting .Thanks...
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM

>>it seems like you could just use an audio/video conference to hold all the participants in the instructional session. Have you tried that, or does it not work for your situation?

Please correct and instruct me if I'm wrong, but Lync client and server does not support multi-point video. It only supports 2-point video. Picture a client with 5 seperate video windows from 5 different individuals all having face-to-face. Lync has no support on the client or the server to accomplish this, thus the question about a creating new media type to do it myself.

I believe that there are other companies that offer a service like the one I've described.
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM

I see - so you want each user to be able to see the video from every other user at once?

Would you be integrating some other video media processing component with Lync, or creating your own?