Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 2008 > BOOK: Professional Visual Basic 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19136-1
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Visual Basic 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19136-1
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Visual Basic 2008 by Bill Evjen, Billy Hollis, Bill Sheldon, Kent Sharkey; ISBN: 9780470191361
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Visual Basic 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19136-1 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Authorized User
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation object Oriented Programming and Database Design

Hey.. i have been working on this project on building school applications with vb 2008 and Sql server 2005. Well i was able to design the database including the ER-model but when i enter into coding, i faced a lot of problems. I practised inheritance,interfaces and all the object oriented principles but i still cant get it. One of the major problem was i thought of making objects and using them as an interface to link the database. But i couldnt diffrentiate between tables and classes. On second thought of just dragging the forms and making modules and coding down the events but i realised it was unethical and a bad programming(though people usually do that). The next thing was i couldnt understand relations(esp. has a and is a). For example. if i make a class named Class( u know standards of students.Five,..V) and then i make a class named Student so i got confused whether i declare Class objects as member of students(has- a relationship) or just inhert Students from Class..

If you guys get my point then please reply me out.. I know there are lot of vb professionals out there who deal with these things daily. If you dont get it then post "I dont Get it!" and i will post a new one.
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:50 AM

Default Not enough detail for me to get it; I'm not sure you're posting in the right place

Your problem description is too general for me to understand. Plus, this may not be the right place to raise these issues. Professional VB 2008 isn't an architecture or design book. It's a technology book.

It sounds like you need a book on n-tier architecture and design, or perhaps one on business objects. You might want to look at Rocky Lhotka's books on business objects, for example.

Billy