Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Visual Studio 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Visual Studio 2010 by Nick Randolph, David Gardner, Chris Anderson, Michael Minutillo; ISBN: 9780470548653
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Visual Studio 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM

Default Chapter 2 - Extremely Lost

I just cracked open this book and started reading through. I hit chapter 2 and after scratching my head for about 60 min thinking I'd done something wrong I threw in the towel and skipped the chapter.

It does not tell you to create a new project/windows form and re-create "btnSayHello" before it references code associated with said button. Nor does it instruct you to load chapter 2's code. It does not even mention that the author changed from the "Getting Started" WPF solution at the beginning of the chapter until 12 pages into it

After I finally realized what happened and loaded the VB code associated with chapter 2 from the website, I noticed that the lines of code telling you how to customize the icon "MyControl" do not actually associate the control with the bitmap that is included with the lesson. How does it work?
Code:
<ToolboxBitmap(GetType(MyControl), "MyControlIcon.bmp")>
Public Class MyControl
The toolbox just displays it as a blueish purple gear.

I've spent about 30 min browsing the web for an explanation to what the book says, which is the reason I bought the book in the first place... to avoid mindlessly browsing various inconsistent resources.

All in all, I'm thoroughly confused with by a large chunk of chapter 2 whenever code is referenced. I've read and re-read the chapter over and over to see if I missed something... Is the reader expected to create a new project and a new user control, or open the example online? If we're expected to open the example online, can someone fix it please?
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Default This worked for me....

The stuff on pg. 28-32 works if you:
1. download & open the Chap 2 solution & build it.
2. open Form1.vb [Design] and drag MyControl from the toolbox onto Form1.
3. click to select MyControl on the form & look at the Properties window--notice nothing under Misc category.
4. open MyControl.Designer.vb, and between lines 3&5 start typing in the snippets in the book.
5. after each snippet, save & build, then go back to Form1, select MyControl on Form1, and look at the Properties window. You should see the attributes appear as described in the book.

I didn't try the icon bitmap stuff, so I can't help you there.
Good Luck
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Default Reply to anyone extremely lost chapter 2 MyControl

What you need to do is

1. Download Chapter2 Code
2. Extract either the VB or CS files needed depending on which language you are using
3. Open up the .vbproj for the ToolBoxControls, Build and Save - close
4. Open up the .vbproj for the HostApplication, Build and Save - close
5. Open up the Chapter2 Solution - after a few the toobox will be built with the MyControl in it and then drag to form1.

That is as far as I have gotten for today. Entire book is a work in progress for me. I did some programming from the Wrox ASP.NET Website Programming Problem, Design, Solution book years ago and now I have to upgrade my applications. I am training myself again from this book.
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Default Chapter 2 Component Class - UserControl

Hi, I was able to duplicate the Component Class project called Chapter 2 but I am confused as to why:

When you are in FORM1.VB and you select F5 to run then the form with the button btnSayHello appears.

When you are in any other code editor and you select F5 to run the the MyControl appears on the screen.

Can someone enlighten me on this as I am trying to get a clear understanding of visual studio?

Thanks
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Chapter 2 instructions are just terrible. Even with the pointers on this thread, the Reference category never shows up in Toolbar, much less the MyControl reference.

Pretty shoddy writing and content proofing.