Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Windows PowerShell Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17393-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Windows PowerShell Programming: Snapins, Cmdlets, Hosts and Providers by Arul Kumaravel, Jon White, Michael Naixin Li, Scott Happell, Guohui Xie, Krishna C. Vutukuri; ISBN: 9780470173930
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Windows PowerShell Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-17393-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Default InitializeDefaultDrives error

I get the following error from asnp when I try to add drives in the InitializeDefaultDrives method.
"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Here is code that reproduces the problem.

protected override Collection<PSDriveInfo> InitializeDefaultDrives()
    {
      Collection<PSDriveInfo> drives = new Collection<PSDriveInfo>();
// PSDriveInfo psDrive = new PSDriveInfo("myDrive", base.ProviderInfo, "myRoot", "Description", base.Credential);
      PSDriveInfo psDrive = new PSDriveInfo("myDrive", ProviderInfo, "myRoot", "Description", Credential);
      drives.Add(psDrive);
      return drives;
    }// InitializeDefaultDrives

I get the same error even if I use the base ProviderInfo and Credentials. I don't get the error if I remove the "drives.Add(psDrive);" line.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Phil
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM

I figured out what I was doing wrong. My provider's NewDrive method gets called with the drive added in InitializeDefaultDrives. NewDrive was accessing the provider's DynamicParameters property which was not yet set through a call to my provider's NewDriveDynamicParameters method. I just needed to check whether DynamicParameters was null before attempting to access the expected items.