Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Wrox's SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit ISBN: 978-0-7645-8923-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Wrox's SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit by Rajesh George, Lance Delano; ISBN: 9780764589232
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Wrox's SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit ISBN: 978-0-7645-8923-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Authorized User

Default Working with Master Detail - Adding a Book Page

Hi all,

I am doing Try It Out "Adding A Book Page" Steps 1 thru 12 on Pages 93-94. I got to Step 9 on Page 94 and I could not get "Generate Insert, Update, and Delete Statements" highlighted. When I did "Test Query" in this Step, I set a value of 1, 2 or 3 and I got the output for each Author right. But I did not get any thing output after I pressed Ctrl+F5. Is this a pitfall in Chapter 5? Please help and advise me how to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Scott Chang

Scott Chang
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Authorized User

Hi Scott,

Haven't been in the forums for a while. I didn't get the problem you described. When I pressed CTRL+F5 I got the books where State = "IL" and not "DC" as per the fig 5.8. So I had to change the 'Where' clause for the drop down box.

Growilng old is compulsory! Growing up is optional!
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Authorized User

Hi Weeble,
Do you have any hunch regarding why it worked in your PC and it did not work in my PC? Did you have a Prinmary Key for the BookID? Did you have any coonection made between MasterPage.master and Book.aspx?
Please reply.
Thanks,
Scott Chang

Scott Chang
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Authorized User

Hi Scott,

Are you still unable to get the "Generate Insert, Update and Delete Staements" highlighted?

Follow the steps through the Try It Out on pages 93-94 until you get to step 9. Before you click the 'Advanced' button (you should be in the 'Configure the Select' dialog box) look to see if the 'Return only unique rows box' has been checked. If it has then uncheck it. Now press the 'Advanced button' and you should be able to check the "Generate Insert, Update and Delete Staements" box.

Weeble

Growilng old is compulsory! Growing up is optional!
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Authorized User

Hi Weeble,
I did everything you said (including the 'Return only unique rows box' has been checked.) and I could/can not get the results shown in Figure 5-8. Did you get the results shown in Figure 5-8? I really like to know you got the results under the "Use Windows Anthentication" or "Use SQL Server Authentication". I did it under the "Use Windows Anthentication" and it failed. Please reply.
Thanks,
Scott Chang
P. S. I looked up the HELP of VWD Express program in my PC. I used the Key Words "Master and Details" to search and I clicked on "master-detail page records" and I tried to follow the steps listed in the "Walkthrough: Creating Master/Detail Web Pages in Visual Studio" that applies "Use SQL Server Authentication" to do the Master/Detail web page. This confuses me in doing the Master-Detail matter. Please comment on this too, if you can.

Scott Chang