Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Wrox's Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit ISBN: 978-0-7645-9573-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Wrox's Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit by Andrew Parsons; ISBN: 9780764595738
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Wrox's Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit ISBN: 978-0-7645-9573-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Default Unable to save Person or Password in Database

I am having multiple problems with saving records and saving passwords in the Personal Organizer Application.

1) When I run my Personal Organizer application, click "Add Person", type the values, and click "Save Button" or the "Save Tool Strip Button" in the "Personal Details" form I am taken to the "Person List" form. But the newly added record does not show in the "Person List" form. The only way to view the record in the "Person List" form or the "Personal Details" form is to click the "Add Person" button and the click the "Show List" button again. The application is suppose to show the record in the List right after saving the record. How do I fix this?

2) When I execute the application I get the message box "You are new to the system. Please enter your password and it will be saved in the database for future use." I get this message everytime, even though I have entered my user id and password previously. The code doesn't seem to save the user id and password in the database. Why the information is not stored in the database.

3) The same problem as question 2, but this time when I click the Save button in the "Personal Details" form I get a message box saying "Person was added successfully". In the same session, when I click on "Show List" button I can view the added new record. Then once I exit the application and restart it the record doesn't show up in the list. Records are not being added to the database. How do I correct the problem? Even if I add data to the Person table directly those records don't show up when I view the list in the application.

FYI: I am using external authentication to login to the database (not SQL Server authentication).
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Dear Skunnu92,
i see that it is too late to answer to this questions.Now i am at chapter 11 of the book and I faced a lot of problems with code functionality.I dont feel capable to answer you to last two questions because all the time i used SQL Server Expres and everything is woking correctly.
About first problem I could advise you to check LoadListBox() function(if it is in the Load Event of the PersonList) or If after executing this function your program show user control PersonList.May be you have to check if you "pnlMain.Controls.Remove(objPersonalDetails)" if it "IsNotNothing" and after that you have to "Add" a instans of PersonList.
You can write me at prangov@yahoo.com