Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Programmer's Reference, 4th Edition ISBN: 978-0-470-19274-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Programmer's Reference, 4th Edition by Michael Kay; ISBN: 9780470192740
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Programmer's Reference, 4th Edition ISBN: 978-0-470-19274-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 17th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Finding position within group

Hello:

Given the following XML:

<code>
<root>
<item @type="a">blah, blah, blah</item>
<item @type="b">blah, blah, blah</item>
<item @type="c">blah, blah, blah</item>
<item @type="a">blah, blah, blah</item>
</root>
</code>

I'm using for-each-group to get one <item> with type="a" followed by any number of <item>s with type="b" or type="c". The example above would represent two groups. The first 3 items would be a group, and the rest would be another group. I've got that part working using the following:
<code>
<xsl:for-each-group select="item" group-starting-with="*[@type="a"]">
</code>

However, I want to be able to identify the nth occurence of each type within the group. I want to know if it's the first type="b" or the 2nd and so on.

Trying to count using preceding-sibling isn't working, as it looks outside my current-group(). Is it possible to count occurrences within the group without disturbing the order? Thank you.