Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > C# 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
C# 2005 For discussion of Visual C# 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Default Running C# apps on platforms without .NET ?

I have a little application that I've written using MS C# 2005 Express. It is designed to be run from a server's NETLOGON share by the login script. The app checks the user's HOMEDRIVE for space used/space available and, if the user's HOMEDRIVE is at or above 90% full pops up a custom advisory box, with different content for users between 90 and 98% and users >98% (99% assumes full drive). The user's HOMEDRIVE is a network share that is quota managed.

I've been doing the same general thing using a KIXTART script and MessageBox, but have noted that users often dismiss the MessageBox without reading it. The app I've written uses a form that stays on top and can't be moved, minimized or covered, and can't be closed until it has been displayed for 20 seconds. It's also colorful and attention getting, with a pie chart to show usage and some phrasing that is, well, maybe just a little smart-mouthed. :D

The problem is that many of these machines have the .NET 2.x framework installed. By corporate edict, we have not upgraded our XP Pro installs to SP2 (required for .NET 2.x, according to MS), because it breaks so many of our specialized core applications. The machine base is 100% Windows 2K or Windows XP (generally depending on age). We're talking about approximately 125 workstations and notebooks.

So, is there any way to compile the necessary libraries into this app, or into .dll's that can be colocated with the .EXE? I'm not finding any evidence of MS supporting this, of course -- the party line is "upgrade everyone to XPPro SP2 and install the framework, because we rule the earth."....but it still seems like it should be do-able.

Is it?

Thanks.

D.

Old May 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM

Hello DanCase

Just wondering if you found a solution to your problem yet. I too have a similar situation.

Cheers Gerard