Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 2.0 and Visual Studio. 2005 > .NET Framework 2.0
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
.NET Framework 2.0 For discussion of the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the .NET Framework 2.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM

Default HL7 development in C# .Net

Hi,
I want to develop an application to send and receive the HL7 message using C# .Net technology?
Is there any tool available for this which will expose the API to send and receive the messages?
Has anyone worked on the the same and what will be the approch to follow?

Thanks,
Rahul
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to dparsons

I am unfamiliar of any API's that allow you to do this. When I had to deal with HL7 files I wrote a simple parser that striped out all of the clincial data and then sent it to our SQL Server and related it to the patient. I did the same thing (in reverse order of course) when I had to generate an HL7 file to be sent off to the lab.

In so far as sending and recieving messages, I had a secure VPN tunnel set up between our office and the lab. When they created files that needed added to our system, they had a process that would access the tunnel then drop all of the files into a directory on a server. I had a windows service that watched this directory and was also responsible for parsing the data. We had a similar process for sending them our files.

hth.

================================================== =========
Read this if you want to know how to get a correct reply for your question:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
.: Wrox Technical Editor / Author :.
Wrox Books 24 x 7
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 8,448, Level: 39 Points: 8,448, Level: 39 Points: 8,448, Level: 39
Activity: 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Well that depends greatly on which version of HL7 you are talking about.

I'm going to assume you mean HL7 v3 - this version is just XML, so obviously you can use .Net to create and edit HL7.

What transport mechanisms are you using? If you are using web endpoints then you can obviously use the HttpWebRequest classes to send and receive the XML.

If you have specific problems or I've assumed something you are not doing then please elaborate.

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM

Hi,
I am using HL7 version 2.1 to 2.5
I have found one open source tool for message generation and parsing. It's NHAPI. But it does not support message communication.
Actually different labs will send their HL7 files either using HTTP, FTP or TCP/IP communication protocol and on my server I need to parse that messages and store in database.
Also I will need to send the acknoweldgement to the message sender application.
The messages can be standard or can be customized like user can add custom tags to their messages.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

Hi Rahul,
Your last post describes exactly what I am doing. I am trying to keep things simple, and at present I am only interested in parsing some HL7 messages and sticking the info in the DB. Conversely I want to build a HL7 message using C# classes, serialize and send.

So I have had a look at NHAPI. Looks very useful.
I'd be interested if you have any further details or examples that you could give me, as by the sounds of things, you have been working with a similar solution for some time now.

Thanks,
Cathal.

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to MrSmoofy Send a message via AIM to MrSmoofy Send a message via MSN to MrSmoofy Send a message via Yahoo to MrSmoofy

I to am working on an integration between a product I'm working on and another product written by a third part. The client wants the two product to talk via HL7 the third party product already does it, I need to figure out how/understand how to create/send hl7 I'm not talking about the actual network part but the data of the messages and steps. Anyone have some good links for this?

Old August 7th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MrSmoofy
 I to am working on an integration between a product I'm working on and another product written by a third part.  The client wants the two product to talk via HL7 the third party product already does it, I need to figure out how/understand how to create/send hl7 I'm not talking about the actual network part but the data of the messages and steps.  Anyone have some good links for this?

http://nhapi.sourceforge.net/home.php

I've been using this since my last post, and I am finding it very useful.
I recommend you take some HL7 text (e.g. a sample from the 3rd party product you mention) and use NHapi to parse it. And then using the debugger, look into the object and see how it is populated. This will give u a good idea of how to populate and send your own messages from scratch.

Cathal.

Old September 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM

I've been looking at the NHapi code and I've run into one little problem. We'll be processing mainly ADT_A04 messages, however, it seems that in the framework, only models v231 and below support it. Anyone know why this is? If I receive a 2.4 or 2.5 ADT_A04, would it be OK to use the 231 model to process it?

thanks!

Old September 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM

Hi all,
i really involve this topic, because i do master with communication standards for health.

pls tell me more about the benefit and the achievement of using HL7 standard for health in your country (if you have a statistic in your country so i many thanks)

i read more about HL7 message v2.3.1 but i don't understand why you need coding this report, for example:

MSH||STORE|MISSION|MINE|LAUREL|199801181007|securi ty|ADT|MSG00201|||<CR>
EVN|01|199801181005||<CR>
PID|||PATID1234567||Doe^John^B^II||19470701|M||C|3 71 MAIN AVE^SAN FRANCISCO^CA^94122-0619||45-681-2888||||||||<CR>
NK1||Doe^Linda^E||wife|<CR>
PV1|1|I|100^345^01||||00135^SMITH^WILLIAM^K|||SUR| ADM|<CR>

pls explain why need coding? and how can send or receive electronic health reports among the countries

thanks for your help
NguyenTrang
my blog: http//360.yahoo.com/nguyentrang_271182

Old August 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Default nHAPI example

Hi Cathal,

I am fairly new to .NET and would like a little help in coding a simple example of using nHAPI.

I have downloaded the assemblies and created a project. Added the reference to the assemblies in the Project tab.

But I have been unable to execute the code successfully. I keep getting the error of missing assmbly for the following:

PipeParser parser = new PipeParser();

Can you help?

Thanks