p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/)
-   BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003 (http://p2p.wrox.com/book-beginning-vb-net-2nd-edition-beginning-vb-net-2003-34/)
-   -   Beginning VB.NET 2003 Chapter 16 (http://p2p.wrox.com/book-beginning-vb-net-2nd-edition-beginning-vb-net-2003/43050-beginning-vbulletin-net-2003-chapter-16-a.html)

siegmeister May 26th, 2006 09:43 AM

Beginning VB.NET 2003 Chapter 16

Sorry for the post,... I am new to programming (trying to learn). Anyway, I was doing the DataSet example in Chapter 16, but I cannot get it to work. I downloaded the code from your website and got the same Microsoft Development Environment Error displaying the following message:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in system.data.dll

Additional information: System error.

I seems to be bombing on the Open Database command - objConnection.Open()

Have you seen this before with the code samples? Any guidance would be appreciated.

siegmeister May 26th, 2006 11:36 AM

I should add that I am running SQL Server 2005 on the same box that I am trying to program on. Also, I verified that I do indeed have the pubs database, and I can connect to it fine otherwise. I tried a new project in VB and ammended the parameters to get data from the Northwind database and got the same error.

I googled the error, but the only results referenced making the DB call before you pass the parameters, but this referred to SQL 7.0

Thearon May 29th, 2006 01:28 PM

I tried to make a connection to SQL Server 2005 on one machine from Visual Basic 2003 on another machine and it failed with just some undescriptive error message. I tried again from Visual Basic 2005 and it failed again. However, this time it gave me a message indicating that the Named Pipes protocol might not be enabled. I went to the SQL Server 2005 machine and opened the SQL Server Configuration Manager and sure enough, on a default installation the Named Pipes protocol is disabled.

I enabled this protocol, restarted SQL Server, and was able to successfully connect from both Visual Basic 2003 and Visual Basic 2005.

I hope this helps.

Thearon

KalluMama November 30th, 2006 11:55 AM

i tried this method...but still could not connect...

KalluMama November 30th, 2006 12:05 PM

i used the wizard to get a connection string and then pasted it into my code. That worked

"workstation id=xxx;packet size=4096;user id=sa;integrated security=SSPI;da" & _
        "ta source=""xxx\SQLEXPRESS"";persist security info=False;initial catalog=pu" & _
        "bs"

Thearon December 5th, 2006 07:06 PM

Ah...

Your source part of the string indicates that you are running SQL Server Express as a named instance.

I'm glad you are up and working.

Thearon

jay lalita December 15th, 2006 07:07 AM

sdfsdfsdfewrwerter

jaya

realg2010 October 8th, 2012 11:29 AM

DB Migration failure

Pls kindly help me out anytime i try to connect to sql server in the DB Migration program i have this error message "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).[SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
I wrote a small program to connect to sql server using sqlconnection so as to know maybe it's the installation problem,but i was able to do so,fill a dataset and populate a datagrid.I have enabled all the protocol names in the MS SQL Server,shared memory,TCP/IP,Named Pipes and VIA.Regards