Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default How to get the value from the DataTable column

Hi everybody,
I have a .NET question:
I've created a disconnected OleDb.DataSet. After that I filled in the DataTable for this DataSet using OleDb.DataAdapter. Than, I would like to read some data from some fields in this DataTable. How to get the field value without using DataReader? I am trying to use collections (first table (index 0) in the Tables collection and column (index 11) in the Columns collection:
myVariable = myDataSet.Tables(0).Columns(11).ToString, it returns the column name. How to get the actual value from the column? I could not find any example on the WEB and Microsoft Help.
Any ideas?

Thanks
-Dmitriy.;)
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM

just try this

in VB.NET
variable as String=DataSet.Table(0).Rows(index)(column-index).ToString();

in C#.NET

string variable=DataSet.Table[0].Rows[index][column-index].ToString();

Example:

string name=DataSet.Table[0].Rows[3][2].ToString();

hope this help you.

best regards.

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM

I get the following error when I try your advice:
Error 1 Cannot apply indexing with [] to an expression of type 'System.Data.DataTable'

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Friend of Wrox

Why would you post your .NET question in the VB6 forum?
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to elizas Send a message via Skype™ to elizas
Default Getting the Calculated value for a new column of a DataTable in .NET

DataTable class in .Net supports the calculation of a column by getting the values from other columns.

That means lets say I have a DataTable as dtItems which is having three columns ItemName, Price, Quantity ,if I need to add another column as Total and the calculated value for this column will be Price* Quantity , this can be done easily without looping through all the rows, it will be automatically calculated during runtime " dtItems.Columns.Add("Total", typeof(int), "Price*Quantity"); ".

Mindfire: India's Only Company to be both Apple Premier & Microsoft Gold certified.