Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Default Help with programming ?

I have done visual basic for a few years now on and off and I am not exactly sure where to post this so sorry for any inconvience if this is the wrong area, however :

There are a few things I would like help with , let me explain what I am trying to do and then from there look at the things that I need help with !

My Explanation :

I am trying to make a program that is simmiliar to dvd decrypter because I really enjoy programming multimedia applications and I know that doing something like this will be a challenge.

Things to take into consideration :

1.} What would be the best language to program it in and why ?

2.} What API's or low level hacks or things would I need to research or find out to be able to make a program like dvd decrypter so that it will be able to read the dvd, decrypt the keys like dvd decrypter does and then write it to the hard drive as the relevant dvd structure etc ??

I know this is a lot of stuff that I am asking and if someonme could help me break it down in to sections of things that I would need to research with regards to API's etc then that would help tremendously because then I can at least research what I need to and If I get stuck again then I can always post back with more specific question(s) :)

Thanks for the time and help everyone !!

Old June 14th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Friend of Wrox

as much as I would like to help you, I am afraid that what you are asking is illegal. I know, I know, we can debait for ages if this law is right or not, but so far copying and/or decrypting a dvd is illegal (at least in the US)
Marco
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM

ok , in that case where can I get help with regards to this , or is it mission impossible to get help with this now because of laws and all that stuff ?

Old June 14th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Friend of Wrox

no, this is not MI... :)
although you cannot get help from a 'official' web site like this, the source code for decryption is free and it can be downloaded. At least it was. Just do not say it was me to tell you (lol) but for sure with google you can find everything. And remember: it is illegal (sorry, I have to repeat that).
Marco
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM

There are many examples of dvd decrypting algorithms in C, but probably very few in VB for performance reasons. Much bit twiddling and brute force looping. If you can read C you will find many examples of dvd decrypting algorithms. But that is the EASY part. Finding info on processing IFO and VOB files is the trick.