Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:03 AM
Authorized User

Default Convert JPG to TIFF

Hello,

I need to convert JPG files to TIFF files, in a vb project. Does anybody knows where I can find information about it?

Thanks a lot to all,

Elisa Resina
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:32 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jlick

Elisa,

There are two basic approaches to converting image formats. The easy way means spending money; the hard way means lots of learning.

I have only done the easy way, which is purchasing a 3rd party API. There are many graphics APIs for VB. Typically if you get one of these, you will create an “Picture” object and load the JPG. Then you use a “SaveAs” method to save the image as a TIFF.

There are many different types of TIFF files, (photo types, text document types, etc). Depending on what type of TIFF you want to support, will help you eliminate who’s API you can use.

The other advantage of using a 3rd party API, is that they have already dealt with the licensing of the JPG & TIFF formats for you, so you don't have to worry about any of that mess.

The hard way would be to load the jpg into a picturebox, then convert this to the TIFF output format. Note that both JPG and TIFF could have licensing issues. I am not sure who owns the JPG format, but I believe that Adobe owns TIFF (I am not 100% sure of this).

John R Lick
JohnRLick@hotmail.com
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:54 AM
Authorized User

Thanks John, :)

You said you already tried the 3rd party solution. Can you give me your opinion of what you found out about your specific case? you know, usually we can find a lot of solutions but must of the times we are not sure that we'll have a good support, we don't know the limitations of it and sometimes the final result it was not what we were looking for. I don't know if I made myself clear...

Thanks,

Elisa Resina
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jlick

I haven't worked with any in a long time. I can't give advise on affordable solutions, but if stability and reliability is your main goal, I would go with Lead Tools. They have many different options, have been around for years, and are probably the best choice if money isn't an issue. (www.leadtools.com). I would read over the different packages they have, and determine which one meets your needs.

On one project, we have a command line program that you just passed a path of the jpg & the path you wanted the new tiff to be created at. I didn't personally do the research or the development for this project, so I don't know what the company was.

John R Lick
JohnRLick@hotmail.com
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:52 PM
Friend of Wrox

My experience with LeadTools support was negative. The product is very powerful, but I was not impressed with the support. I have used a few small tools, but have never had any dealings with support on those tools.

Yehuda
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:07 PM
Authorized User

I heartily agree. I started a project with the Lead control to display TIF files and it was a complete disaster. The techical support was terrible and the documentation was even worse. I switched to a control from Pegasus, which worked well. Support and documentation were also not great, but the control worked as promised. And consistently, I might add, which was not a characteristic of the Lead control.

Mark Phillips

Old October 24th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

I have used both Pegasus Software and Lead Tools and in my opinion there is not a lot between them. Lead is more expensive, especially if you have to consider royalties. Pegasus' range is very extensive and very powerful (but not quite as powerful as Lead) and I have not had any problem's with there support. Mind you, I do have the top level support contract with them, so maybe that is the difference.

I would highly recommend Pegasus' ImagXpress ActiveX control. Certainly for simply converting a JPEG to a TIFF the control will have no problems at all. I think I would be a little hesitant to shell out for the control if all I was doing was changing a file format, however if you want to manipulate the image (crop, annotate, emboss, resample, etc.) then I think the price is justified.

If you are looking for a much cheaper solution then take a look at The VB Zone, click on the VB Standard Modules option on the left menu bar and download the modFreeImage.bas and FreeImage.dll file's. I have never used these but I don't think much can go wrong with converting a file from one format to another. You could also try downloading his Advanced Bitmap Processing application if you want more manipulation power, it will cost you $10 though, however that is a lot less than either Lead Tools or Pegasus Software.

Regards
Owain Williams
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:45 AM
Authorized User

LeadTools has a command line version and it solved the problem (and it's free...). Thanks to you all! You were all great!

Elisa Resina
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM

Anybody has a sample code that does this. we are using leadtools eval software and would want to know more in detail. Which is the com/dll we need to use and what are the methods.

Thanks,
Bharani

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Peppiniello

Hi Elisa,
do you need a VB code to convert JPG to TIFFs ?
If so, i should have the code somewhere, and if you'r still interested i can start searching for it...
Greetings from Milan!

Peppiniello