Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB.NET 1.0 > Pro VB.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 For advanced Visual Basic coders working .NET version 2002/2003. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB.NET.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Default FTP from inside VB.NET Program

I would like to ftp a file from inside a vb.net program. I've looked on the web but have seen mostly reccommendations for third party components. I've sent e-mails from vb.net (in an asp.net applicaitons) so I figure there should be something similar (an ftp object for istance) that is already part of vb.net.

Does anyone have any suggestions/code.

Neil
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:49 AM

We had the same problem some months ago, but we chose to buy a component instead (the dart ftp.net component). Saved us a lot of time and frustration. Can handle asynchronous and synchronous ftp transfer. Didn't found some code to use and the lack of time and knowledge made us buy it.
Old July 11th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to TDot Send a message via Yahoo to TDot

Hello,

Here is a link to a complete guide on how to implement FTP within VB.NET. It's a tad complicated...but worth the effort.

cheers!

Old July 11th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to TDot Send a message via Yahoo to TDot

Sorry, forgot to post the link (duh)...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B812404

Old July 11th, 2003, 05:23 PM

I thought someone might be interested in a REALLY simple solution I got this one off another message board:
   It got me going in minutes. I am curious as to why complicated solutions seem to be more popular than simpleones.

Neil
__________________________________________________ __________

Private Declare Function InternetCloseHandle Lib "wininet.dll" (ByVal HINet As Integer) As Integer
        Private Declare Function InternetOpen Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "InternetOpenA" (ByVal sAgent As String, ByVal lAccessType As Integer, ByVal sProxyName As String, ByVal sProxyBypass As String, ByVal lFlags As Integer) As Integer
        Private Declare Function InternetConnect Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "InternetConnectA" (ByVal hInternetSession As Integer, ByVal sServerName As String, ByVal nServerPort As Integer, ByVal sUsername As String, ByVal sPassword As String, ByVal lService As Integer, ByVal lFlags As Integer, ByVal lContext As Integer) As Integer
        Private Declare Function FtpGetFile Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "FtpGetFileA" (ByVal hFtpSession As Integer, ByVal lpszRemoteFile As String, ByVal lpszNewFile As String, ByVal fFailIfExists As Boolean, ByVal dwFlagsAndAttributes As Integer, ByVal dwFlags As Integer, ByVal dwContext As Integer) As Boolean
        Private Declare Function FtpPutFile Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "FtpPutFileA" (ByVal hFtpSession As Integer, ByVal lpszLocalFile As String, ByVal lpszRemoteFile As String, ByVal dwFlags As Integer, ByVal dwContext As Integer) As Boolean
          Dim INet, INetConn As integer
          Dim RC As Boolean
        INet = InternetOpen("MyFTP Control", 1, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)
        INetConn = InternetConnect(INet, "www.yoursite.com";, 0, "yourlogin", "yourpassword", 1, 0, 0)
        RC = FtpGetFile(INetConn, "/folder/subfolder/name.ext", "c:\tmp\downloaded.ext", true, 1, 0, 0)
        If RC Then MessageBox.show( "Transfer succesfull!")
        InternetCloseHandle INetConn
        InternetCloseHandle INet
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:09 PM

Just wondering if anyone has managed to get the really simple solution that fig000 posted working. I too am trying to implement ftp inside a VB.Net program, and had found those lines of code on the web too.

The InternetOpen and InternetConnect calls seem to be working (ie it doesn't return 0), but the FtpGetFile always returns False - its not getting the file. I have no idea why. Anyone else had any luck with this?

Old August 21st, 2003, 03:37 PM

Hello,
you could also try several free ftp libraries found at www.codeproject.com. You could also try Rebex FTP.net component - it comes with a lot of samples (both vb.net and c#). It even includes WinForm ftp client similar to Windows Commander (aka Total Commander) with complete vb.net source code...

http://www.rebex.net/ftp.net/

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:55 PM

The above method for FTPing files works like a charm. I created a nice little program that ftps to all my machines and pulls some files. I agree you should not use a brick to kill a fly if you don't need to.

To answer the problem about not getting the ftp file.. you should try using the command line ftp program in windows to debug.. try to replicate the same steps as you are doing in your program. Then at least can narrow down your problem.

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Ok guys, I am also trying to use the code fig000 is using and i have the same problem as jazzart, did any one solve this, the ftp file isnot transferred for some reason ....

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Can you send a code snippet.