Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to xologist Send a message via Yahoo to xologist
Default xml result set truncated in sql query analyzer

I have been studying Robert Vieira's excellent "SQL Sever 2000 Programming" and have worked my way through to Chapter 20, Integration of XML into SQL server. I have tried to run a few sample For XML Clauses provided by the author and the XML result set gets truncated every time. When I run the SELECT statements without the FOR XML clause I get the proper result set returned. I am at a loss as to what the problem is and how to solve it. The microsoft site knowledge base search hasn't provided any hits at all that addresses this distinct issue. I am running sql 2k enterprise edition with all the latest service packs and win 2k advanced server with the latest service packs. Any help at all would be appreciated. I checked sp_dboptions and didn't see anything that would help and the t-sql books online don't address this issue. I am flat out stuck. Any ideas? Thank you. Jim

Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

This is a limitation of the query analyzer. In the options, you can set the limit for character output for a single field. Usually this is a good thing so you don't end up with loads more data coming out in the results window that you can handle.

Go to Tools -> Options... -> Results -> Maximum characters per column:

Set it to whatever you like to be able to see more data.

Peter
------------------------------------------------------
Work smarter, not harder.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to xologist Send a message via Yahoo to xologist

Peter thank you so very much. After I read the first few lines of your reply my brain accessed a bit of information I remembered about being able to set various characteristics of Query Analzyer. I am very appreciative and glad you knew what to do. I also felt embrassed that I stumpled on such a simple thing. I hope that when I go take the 70-229 examine I remember all of these kinds of nuts and bolts things. I like your slogan - Work smarter not harder. How true. Now I can continue to learn XML and cut and paste the results into XML spy. You are also right about having a row length that isn't a monster to deal with. Hope to see you around and see what other tips I can learn. Vieira's book is the best book I have seen to date on SQL progamming.