Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 4th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Default SqlDumpExceptionHandler Error

I'm reading Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming (Rob Viera).
There is example how to create FOREIGN KEY that references column in the same table (page 196). If I run code:

ALTER TABLE Employees
ADD CONSTRAINT FK_EmployeeHasManager
FOREIGN KEY (ManagerEmpID) REFERENCES Employees (EmployeeID)

I would get error:
ODBC: Msg 0, Level 19, State 1
SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 51 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

I'm running Win2K server, with 'Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.384 (Intel X86) May 23 2001 00:02:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: )'
Any ideas what is wrong?
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Friend of Wrox

The code you've attempted to run looks fine.

Build 760 is the latest build for SQL Server 2k, I believe. Looks like you are a service pack behind.

Can you create the FK constraint via the database diagram? Click the manager column and drag back onto the table itself and see if that works. You might also try a server restart.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM

Thanks Jeff,
I'll download latest Service Pack, and try it again. It works fine when I create constraints referencing other table. The problem only when constraint references the same table
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Friend of Wrox

I once saw similar errors on a server. A stick of RAM had gone. If you still get the problems after applying the service pack you might want to check your hardware platform.

regards
David Cameron