Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Default delay trigger until all records are inserted

I have a trigger that works fine, based on records being inserted into a table. The problem is thousands of records may be added to the table at a time, and I don't want the trigger going off that many times. Just once after the records are added would be fine. Is there any way to do this?

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Friend of Wrox

Then trigger cannot be of any help to you, as it runs for every insert/update/delete operation based on which it is supposed to run.

May be after every such bulk inserts, you might want to invoke a stored procedure to do that job.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Old May 28th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Friend of Wrox

Disable the trigger before the bulk insert, then after the records have been inserted, just run some code to do the tasks that the trigger would do.

Sal
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to alyeng2000

Continue to What is Said--->
you can do as follows

ALTER TABLE trig_example DISABLE TRIGGER trig1
"Execute Insert Statments"
ALTER TABLE trig_example ENABLE TRIGGER trig1
"Execute What Trigger have to do for each of Inserted Statments"

Ahmed Ali
Software Developer
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM

Thanks... looks like my best solution is to leave it as is since system users are adding the record via batch processes (generating purchase orders). It works, so I don't have to.

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Work Around It

I had kind of a similar situation where before I processed the records inserted into the table with the trigger, I wanted to make sure all the relevant related data in relational tables was also there.

My solution was to create a scratch table which was populated by the insert trigger on the first table.

The scratch table had a updated flag, (default set to 0), and an insert get date() date field, and the relevant identifier from the main table.

I then created a scheduled process to loop over the scratch table and perform whatever process I wanted to perform against each record individually, and updating the 'updated flag' as each record was processed.

BUT, here is where I was a wee bit clever, in the loop over process looking for records in the scratch table that had a 'update flag = 0', I also added the AND clause of 'AND datediff(mi, Updated_Date, getdate())> 5'. So the record would not actually be processed until 5 minutes AFTER it was inserted into the scratch table.