Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to Adam H-W
Default Query Analyzer

I've recently moved web servers. My previous web server was running sql server 2000. I have installed SQL server 2000 on the new one and have migrated all the databases across to the new one. They are mostly back ends to database driven sites and are working fine.

However, when I try to connect to the new SQL Server via QA it does not allow me in. It gives me the error:

Unable to connect to server

Server: Message17, Level16, State 1
Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver DBNETLIB SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I am also connecting to some of my databases via SQLOLEDB and when I give the Data Source as the ip of the new SQL Server it won't allow it to connect either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Have I missed something when I installed it?

thanks

Adam

Old February 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 66,557, Level: 100 Points: 66,557, Level: 100 Points: 66,557, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,361 Posts

Hi Adam,

Did your old server support "mixed mode authentication", allowing both SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication?

if you do a clean install of SQL Server, by default it only allows Windows authentication.

If this is the issue, you can either change the supported authentication mechanisms in SQL Server, or change the way you connect to the server (recommended).

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
While typing this post, I was listening to: If You Have A Cross To Bear You May As Well Use It As A Crutch by Moloko (Track 16 from the album: Things To Make And Do) What's This?
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Friend of Wrox

thanks for your reply Imar

Yes, it did support mixed mode authentication.

When you say

'change the supported authentication mechanisms in SQL Server, or change the way you connect to the server (recommended).'

can you tell me how I change the supported mechanisms, or even better, a more appropriate method to conncect to the server instead of SQLOLEDB?

many thanks

Adam

Old February 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 66,557, Level: 100 Points: 66,557, Level: 100 Points: 66,557, Level: 100

Open the Enterprise Manager, locate your server and right-click it. Choose Properties and then open the Security tab.

There you can switch to Mixed Mode. After the switch, you can log in by supplying SQL Server credentials, like the SA or other SQL accounts.

However, it's often better to use Integrated Security. With IS, you don't supply a user name and password in a connection string, but you connect to SQL Server in the context of the "current user". What user that is, depends. It can be IUSR_MachineName for anonymous html / ASP web sites, or the ASPNET or Network Service account. It can also be the currently logged on user.

Look here: http://www.connectionstrings.com/ under SqlConnection (.NET) for Standard Security (SQL Security) and Trusted Connections (Integrated Security).

To read more about the implications, Google for Integrated Security and SQL Server.

To see what account is used by a web site, check this FAQ: http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?QUICKDOC=287

HtH,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Friend of Wrox

thanks Imar

Sadly I haven't managed to make it work - however in the log files I noticed this:

'You are running a version of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft SQL
Server 2000 Desktop Engine (also called MSDE) that has known security
vulnerabilities when used in conjunction with the Microsoft Windows Server
2003 family. To reduce your computer's vulnerability to certain virus
attacks, the TCP/IP and UDP network ports of Microsoft SQL Server 2000,
MSDE, or both have been disabled. To enable these ports, you must install
a patch, or the most recent service pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or
MSDE from http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/default.asp'

I've installed the patches but am not sure how to enable the tcp/ip and udp ports again?

thanks

Adam

Old February 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Wrox Author

Did you install the latest server pack for SQL Server?

You can enable the protocols by opening Client Network Utility from the Microsoft SQL Server start menu item.

You get a list of installed protocols and the option to enable or disable as well as configure them.

HtH

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:40 AM

hi guyz how are you hope you will be fine,

i want to connect one server to anathor server using sql query is it possible like:
there is two server have multi database
1 is KASHIF1,
2 is KASHIF2

KASHIF1 HAS 2 TABLES LIKE CUSTOMER MASTER AND VENDOR MASTER

KASHIF2 HAS 2 TABLES COMPANY MASTER, CITY MASTER

I WANT TO CONNECT KASHIF1, KASHIF2 BOTH IN ONE QUERY AND GET RECORDS FROM BOTH SERVER AND DISPLAY IT ACCORDINGLY.

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP.

THANKS YOU

BEST REGARDS
KASHIF