Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2005 General discussion of SQL Server *2005* version only.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Authorized User

Default Login process without username!

I installed the SQL Server 2005 on my PC, creat some test users and give them some permission to see the effects on jobs they can do and not, but I asked myself aquestion, I am login using windows Authontication and my name isnt found in logins list of my sql server, there are test user, local administrator, sa, NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators and like thes, so how I make a login to my SQL Server.

Mohd A. Shalabi
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Wrox Author

You have two authentication modes when loging into SQL Server 2005. SQL Server Authentication, and Windows Authentication. If you select Windows Authentication, it uses the credentials of the person currently logged in to the computer. The other option is SQL Server Authentication, and if that is selected, you have the option of selecting (or typing) the username and password with which you want to authenticate and log in to SQL Server. The user name list comes from the list of Logins you can create in SQL Server. There are default Logins (sa, NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators) and you can create your own, either using Windows Authentication or SQL Server authentication.

Expand the Security node, then right mouse click on the Logins node, and select New Login. The New Login dialog will appear, and you can now create a new login based on Windows or SQL authentication.

Does this help?

Scott Klein
Author - Professional SQL Server 2005 XML
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...764597922.html
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Authorized User

Thanks for your explanation.
In my case I use windows authentication, and because I am a local administrator on my PC, I can run SQL Server as an SQL admin, but the logical thing is a have a login name for me in the security pane in SQL Server even I use windows authentication, because when I created a windows user named test, then add to SQL Server users then login to SQL Server, this user name is listed in security\logins, but the question who add my username or where is it in security\logins?!

Mohd A. Shalabi