Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2005 General discussion of SQL Server *2005* version only.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Banned
Points: 1,561, Level: 16 Points: 1,561, Level: 16 Points: 1,561, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question MS SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components Stopped Working

I recently got a new machine that runs Windows 7 Professional with 64-bit OS. I re-installed several programs, and tried to install SQL Server 2000 without success. I was told that it wasn't compatible with Windows 7, but that I could download MS's "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" to manage old DTS packages.

This worked great a first for several weeks, and then blamo, it just stopped working for no reason. I can view all of the DTS packages with SQL Server 2005 under SERVERNAME > Management > Legacy > Data Transformation Services, but as soon as I try to open one, I get this error:

------------------------------
TITLE: Object Explorer

This package cannot be edited.

SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages. Install the special Web download, "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" to use this feature.

If the "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" download is already installed, there might be a problem with the compatibility of icons persisted in this DTS package. See the following KB article for more details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406 (Microsoft.SqlServer.DtsObjectExplorerUI)

------------------------------

First off, I made sure that "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" is already installed on my machine several times via the Add/Remove Programs list. I then followed the steps on the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406 without success. I cannot insert the SQL Server 2000 CD into my system, as I get an immediate error about incompatibility.

Has this happened to anyone else here? If so, what should I do? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling these related components to no avail, and I'm at a loss as to why it would work before and not now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.