For those of you who may wish to experiment with VS.NET 2005, be warned (as always with a beta release) that weird things will happen.
I have experienced the following problems since installing it:
- Cannot run Internet Information Services manager.
- Cannot attach to the aspnet_wp process for debugging. (I'm not positive this is from the VS 2005 install, but it's more than likely the cause.)
If you have a second machine on your network that has IIS installed, you can work around the IIS problem by the following method:
- Go onto the other machine and launch IIS manager.
- In the left pane, right click on "Internet Information Services" and then click "Connect...".
- Enter the name of the computer you wish to edit IIS properties for and any necessary credentials.
- Expand the new computer's node and you should be able to see the IIS properties as if you are working on it locally.
You may experience problems with this because of permissions. If you do, you'll need to speak with your system admin (who may in fact be you).
Work smarter, not harder