Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 2.0 and Visual Studio. 2005 > Visual Studio 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Visual Studio 2005 For discussing Visual Studio 2005. Please post code questions about a specific language (C#, VB, ASP.NET, etc) in the correct language forum instead.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Visual Studio 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 19th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Default migrating from Crystal RPT to Visual Studio 2005 RDL Reports linking to SQL 2005

Hi,

We are using an SQL 2005 standard Database and up until this week were using Crystal as our reporting tool. As our business has now grown, we are now facing an issue that those who need access to our reports are having issues with Crystal so the decision was made to create an RDL web app and publish this on the WWW.

We now have the app up and running but i am having some issues getting our Crystal reports moved over to RDL reports using Visual Studio 2005.

i have created a few reports without too much trouble but i am now having issues with 2 functions that i use alot in Crystal that i just cant figure out in Visual Studio.

EXAMPLE

i have created a report based on the following dataset:

SELECT vw_WR_Accountability.RepID,
vw_WR_Accountability.AppointmentID,
vw_WR_Accountability.DateOfApp,
vw_WR_Accountability.SubDisposition,
vw_WR_Accountability.Responsibility,
vw_WR_Accountability.SalesRegionID,
vw_WR_Accountability.Name,
[LT tbl Region].SalesRegionID AS Expr1,
[LT tbl Region].SalesRegion,
[LT tbl Region].Active,
[LT tbl Region].HierarchyID,
HierarchyA.ID,
HierarchyA.HierarchyID AS Expr2,
HierarchyA.OfficeID,
HierarchyA.Region
FROM vw_WR_Accountability INNER JOIN
[LT tbl Region] ON vw_WR_Accountability.SalesRegionID = [LT tbl Region].SalesRegionID INNER JOIN
HierarchyA ON [LT tbl Region].HierarchyID = HierarchyA.HierarchyID
WHERE (vw_WR_Accountability.DateOfApp BETWEEN GETDATE() - 8 AND GETDATE() - 1)

I have then created groups in Visual Studio:
1) HierarchyA.Region
2) vw_WR_Accountability.Name
3) vw_WR_Accountability.DateOfApp

And here is where i have my first problem.

In Crystal you have the option of combining values into set groups. For instance in the HierarchyA.Region group i have the List of values as:

Louth B
Kilkenny
Navan
Midlands
Blarney

What i want to be able to do is tell the grouping tool that Louth B and Midlands are actually both Midlands, and that Kilkenny and Blarney are actually both Kilkenny. You can do this under grouping options in Crystal but i cannot figure out how this can be done in Visual Studio.

-----------------------------------------------

The next problem i am having is with the count command

For instance with the column vw_WR_Accountability.SubDisposition i want to be able to count this column at each group level but only where the feild has specific values. What i have tried to do is:

count(Fields!SubDisposition.value in ('PIC','ABC'))

but this does not give an accurate count of these values for each group instance. Again, i am sure there is an easy explanation on how this can be done but i just havent been able to figure it out.

Be gently - i have only been working with Visual Studio since monday!

Thanks for your help

SC