Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP.NET 2.0 > Visual Web Developer 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Visual Web Developer 2005 Discuss creating ASP.NET 2.0 sites with Microsoft's Visual Web Developer 2005. If your question is more specific to a piece of code than the Visual tool, see the ASP.NEt 2.0 forums instead.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Visual Web Developer 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Authorized User
Points: 410, Level: 7 Points: 410, Level: 7 Points: 410, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy .aspx pages in a CD

Hi,

I have made a big project, with .net 2.0 & Access as database. There are over 2000 products which i have stored in database & this are loaded in .aspx pages. The web site is online.

Now the client wants an additional service, he wants to distribute this site in a CD. And this should be an offline site. It means the .aspx pages should run even if there is no internet connection on client machine.

So, I have the whole website with me, with all .aspx pages & 1 Access database, but don't know how to perform this task. Coz its not necessary that client will have .net framework installed on his machine.

As the CD gets inserted, automatically index.aspx page should be opened with AutoPlay in the browser.

Please give me a solution.

I have 1 idea but i don't know how to do it. The idea is to create a software like .exe & by clicking NEXT & NEXT & FINISH.

Help me....Thank u....

Last edited by anup.maverick; June 13th, 2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 66,797, Level: 100 Points: 66,797, Level: 100 Points: 66,797, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,372 Posts

Hi there,

You won't be able to do this without your client installing the .NET run-time. And even then it's a hassle. You need to install at least IIS Express and maybe some database tools. In other words, this is probably not going to work.

Does the site need to be interactive? Or just a browsable catalog? In the latter case, can't you create a read-only, HTML based version of the site using some web grabber?

Otherwise, you'll need to rebuild the site in some other, client based technology.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
anup.maverick (June 14th, 2011)
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 3,558, Level: 25 Points: 3,558, Level: 25 Points: 3,558, Level: 25

Send a message via Yahoo to melvik Send a message via Skype™ to melvik

as Imar said, u cant do it without using IIS to run ur ASP pages.
but something. can we simulate a IIS like what VS 2005,8 do it? a file system, virtual Dir ???

once I had to do it & I saved all ASP pages as HTML & ...
or u may do some dynamic with JavaScript but ...
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
Hi there,

You won't be able to do this without your client installing the .NET run-time. And even then it's a hassle. You need to install at least IIS Express and maybe some database tools. In other words, this is probably not going to work.

Does the site need to be interactive? Or just a browsable catalog? In the latter case, can't you create a read-only, HTML based version of the site using some web grabber?

Otherwise, you'll need to rebuild the site in some other, client based technology.

Cheers,

Imar
Hi,

This is the website : http://skinstrument.in/
Go to >> PRODUCTS > CABINTES >SANHE

There are over 1500 products. So if i start making this site in html from the scratch, i have to make 1500 html pages, its not going to be a good deal.

Is there any solution in regarding of converting this complete site in HTML.

Thank u....!!
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 3,558, Level: 25 Points: 3,558, Level: 25 Points: 3,558, Level: 25

Send a message via Yahoo to melvik Send a message via Skype™ to melvik

well ur question made me to search a bit & I found this, something called Light IIS. the writer talks about
Quote:
...when I saw the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and its solution to run asp.net without IIS...
take a look, it might help u
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/LightIIS.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to melvik For This Useful Post:
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 66,797, Level: 100 Points: 66,797, Level: 100 Points: 66,797, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,372 Posts

As I suggested in my previous message, you can use a site grabber to save the site as HTML. You lose a lot of the interactivity though (no postbacks).

If you must run on the local machine, I'd look into IIS Express instead of the Codeplex server. If I am not mistaken, you're allowed to bundle IIS Express, but be sure to look in the EULA before you go this route.

But personally, I would rethink my strategy. What's the reason you need off-line capabilities?

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
But personally, I would rethink my strategy. What's the reason you need off-line capabilities?

Cheers,

Imar
Hi,

The competitor of client has done this. His whole website is html based(about 2000 html pages), so he didn't have any problem in packing the .html pages in a CD.

So, the client also want the same thing. that is the reason for off-line capabilities. but the problem is that my original site is .net based & not html.

Thank U....!!