View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Your connection string is this:

Application("DBConn")

Somewhere (probably in the file called global.asa in the root of your site), the connection string is saved to an Application variable called DBConn. Look in the global.asa file, or search for Application("DBConn") and you'll find a connection string similar to the ones posted in this thread. However, you don't really need to do that; just use Application("DBConn") instead of YourConnectionStringHere I used earlier.

Re books: If you're using Dreamweaver to build site, look at Beginning Dreamweaver MX 2004. I am one of the authors so of course I am biased about this book, but I truly believe it will help you understand database driven ASP sites. Two of the three sample sites (TheSoccerSite and MediaEdge) are completely database driven web sites that show you how to use ASP and ADO to connect to Access databases, similar to the stuff you're doing now.
Beginning Active Server Pages is very good too, although I can't recall to what extend it discusses databases.
There used to be a book called ASP Databases, but I am not sure if it is still with Wrox and/or it is still a valid publication. Try Amazon for that.

Re ASP.NET: Hmmmm, it depends. Of course, ASP.NET is the future way to go. "Classic" ASP will be around for some time, but eventually, it will no longer be supported.
However, ASP.NET is a completely different beast. It depends a bit on the type of sites you're building and what you're using them for. Personally, I think it's a good idea to use classic ASP to learn basic Web things. Understand client-server, understand database interaction, understand the stateless nature of the Web, understand (basic) (X)HTML, JavaScript, CSS, stuff like that. Once you know how that works, the switch to ASP.NET is much easier.
ASP.NET has quite a learning curve, so if you try to learn it all at once, you may get into problems.....

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.