View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Friend of Wrox

Well the problem appears to be a lack of a space between the table name 'user' and the bracket.

As for your users being granted a host entry of "%", this is simply an implementation of the SQL92 '%' wildcard character, which you will become increasingly familiar with as you progress with MySQL (and database managers in general). It means simply "Any host", and so, by implication, sould permit users logging on from "localhost" (i.e. locally, on the same machine) to connect - although, as a further aside, MySQL defaults to rerouting all requests from localhost through its Unix Socket (or the equivalent "pipe" file on Win NT) because these connections are much faster.

FWIW, Debian's Woody and Sarge versions of MySQL both default to "skip-networking", which is to say MySQL will disallow any netweorked connections, restricting access to connections from any host other than "localhost" (and event those requests are, like I say, rerouted through the socket, which is the only reason they can get through). So, if you're running Woody or Sarge and find that yourself, logging on locally as root, say, can log in, but no one else can (no matter what privileges you give them) then that's the reason. I don't think this is the case in this instance, but I thought I'd pass it on as a helpful hint, sould you ever find yourself in that situation.

You could *try* adding a localhost entry (which, by the time I've finished typing all this nonsense, you'll probably have already done, anyway :) and see if they can log on then, but I can't see why that should be the case.