View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Peter- Let me say I agree, there is no reason you CAN'T build different projects and use different languages- I just think a good shop has some standards- even in that standard is to split the languages as you have done at your shop. I do, however, consider myself a real programmer- and I have never worked with C or C++. None of my jobs ever "needed" me to know how to use those languages, as a result I never learned them. I am 100% self-taught as a developer. Books and so forth. No training in development at all, really.

J- I understand what your saying- That's why I think a standard is good and you make sure people you hire can meet that standard. Without a standard - who do you hire?

BSkelding (you have a first name?)- Yes, you have interoperability between languages. Each project (and I mean VS.NET project), however, must be in one language. Each Project will compile into one or more assemblies. Namespaces can cross Assemblies. The "Issue" is that in order to reference an assembly (and have a job compile) you need to have the assemblies that there is a dependency on compiled first. So if one person is creating the UI to talk to Business objects- then the business objects need to exist first. The flaw in yor design is your not seperating the business work from the UI work. Doing them in the same project, and expecting them to cross over assembly's (which might not exist) won't work. If you create Project 1.. compile that.. and then create a reference to project 1 in project 2- you can use the functionality from Project 1 in Project 2. No "passing" is required. Just use it like any other object. It seems your missing knowledge on some of the fundamental parts of the framework- and I suggest you get a book and read it, because I dont't think any of us want to re-write a book here in the forums. The forums are to help people with specific problems, not provide .NET training.

Hal Levy
Web Developer, PDI Inc.

NOT a Wiley/Wrox Employee