View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imar
 Fortunately, you can't set the value of a file control.
Combined with this body tag:

<body onload="document.forms[0].submit();">

you could easily steal any documents you want, provided you'd know the name.

You also cannot upload from an FTP site. The input type="file" control uses a local or network path, but AFAIK, you cannot get it to upload files from an FTP server.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Hi Imar,

Thanks for responding. I didn't want to define an actual file name, just a directory, but that may not make a difference.

What I'm doing is for an Intranet, it's a quality control program that the qc person uses to enter certain info on the item their checking, including a picture if there's a problem. I have a form that collects information and a picture, and enters into a database. I didn't want to actually store the pic in the database (to keep the db size down and for ease) so I was planing to store the path to the picture. The pictures would be stored on a network drive in a folder. The user would use the file browse to go find the picture and then I just pass the path to the database. I didn't want the user to have to go and search the network for the path, especially on thin clients where I can't map drives, so I thought the solution would be to force the file open dialog to open to the folder where the pics are stored and then the user just has to pick the picture.

What would be really nice is if it's possible to tie a button on the form to the camera attached to the computer - just a little web cam, and when the qc person selects the button the picture is taken and entered into the form automatically - then I'll just stick the pictures themselves into the database. I don't know if that's possible, haven't looked into it yet.

Let me know what you think and if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Bob